Tug Cartoons

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by scouse, Jun 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have a couple of Tug cartoons sent to me:clap:

Attached Files:

2. And the other one

Attached Files:

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I've never seen one of Tugg's offerings that failed to raise a smile. I suppose they are now scattered all over the place but one can only wish someone could produce a 'collected works'. Maybe the Navy News which used always to have Jack on show, usually writing fibs to his party, might like to have a go.
  4. If memory serves me, I recall the walls of The Royal Standard papered with cartoons. I expect that Ruby has been keeping that big boozer in the sky for a few years now.
  5. Used to look forward to the Flight Safety calendars, Tug somehow captured the spirit of the occasion superbly in his cartoons.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Had the pleasure & privilege to attend as a guest the HMS Trafalgar association reunion/Trafalgar 200 celebration at the home club on 21/09/2005, star prize in the draw a framed signed "TUG" original.

The "boat boys" were not impressed when this "WAFU" wearing his zigzag tie marched up to duly collect his prize, it now sits proudly on my study wall.

All is not Lost for them though, I've left clear instructions that is must be returned to the HMS Trafalgar association secretary on my eventual demise.

I've been told that it's one of six that he did especially for the Trafalgar 200 celebration, I'd be interested to know if this is true & if so where the other five are.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. He also did the cartoons for the articles in Review of Raval Engineering.
  8. [​IMG]Pride of place on my bookshelf......plenty of 'Tugg' cartoons.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. AAF

AAF Badgeman

One of my favorites was a sprog who had slapped in to grow and was confronted by a 3 badge f/all with a set bigger and better than Brian Blessed.......'' Growing a set ?.....seen more 'airs on bacon''
  10. The RN Flight Safety Centre holds most of the original FS Tugg cartoons. Work has gone on in the past to try and publish a book with all the cartoons in, but despite approaching several publishers it came to nothing as it was believed there would not be interest to make it financially viable. A shame.
  11. any chance of putting a few up????
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Omnipotent mode on - I seem to recall that the
    is a CPO. Omnipotent mode off.

Tugg did good social commentary, naval mores well observed. It seems that some of his cartoons previously seen in the Review of Naval Engineering ( now styled 'The Naval Engineer' ) are going around again in that publication, with new captions illustrating articles. Some are quite apt and make it appear as if Tugg is still going.

( There is a thread somewhere in RR about Tugg's departure to the big stand easy.)
  13. My favourite is the one where Jack is turned-in in sick bay , swathed in bandages ,plaster casts ,etc , and one "Doc" says to another "" .....and then he stood on the bar and said "Bootneck ! Bootneck! ..can't catch me ! ""

Aequam Memento Rebus In Arduis Servare Mentem
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Drake JR's dining hall used to have some on the walls IIRC, and Raleigh had a load of Phase 1 orientated ones as well like this one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2