Trying to transfer from army to navy please help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TapouT, Sep 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im currently in the royal engineers and want to transfer due to lack of job satisfaction looking at AET.
    Application has gone in just dont know how long it will take any ideas, also anybody know of anyone whos has transfered from the army?
    whats the trade AET like
  2. Welcome mate.

I am ex RTR (10 years) and Civvi (8 years). Hopefully to become Sea Spec before I die!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ninja Stoker and Super Mario are both recruiters, no doubt they will be able to help
  4. 1. Learn to salute properly
    2. None of that stupid stamping when you come to attention
    3. If my nephew in the Rifles is anything to go by, learn to clean your shoes properly.

Hope that helps.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi, best of luck to you.

If you are still serving & wish to transfer, by far the best way to do this is whilst still serving as you keep earning a wage & should you fail an element of selection you do not lose your job.

The Army can sometimes be a little cagey in allowing an in-service transfer & often insist that you must leave & re-apply to join the Senior Service.

If you've had to leave to transfer: To process your application you must first provide all of the listed documentation (1-9 below), the onus is on you to provide them at your earliest opportunity. If you've lost your service documentation, then it's going to delay your application by up to 3 months whilst you apply under the Data Protection Act to obtain a copy of ALL your former service records.

In order to be processed, you need:

1. Discharge Certificate (Army Red Book)

2. Last RORRS Report (RN/RM only). This must indicate whether you are recommended further service.(If the report states you are not recommended for further service then we can not process your application, if it says after "x" months, you must wait for that time to elapse before you may re-apply)

3. Your last pay statement (This ensures you get paid for your service seniority were applicable- Yes, your former service may count towards your pension).

4. Passport (You must have a valid one as a condition of entry into the service). No passport, no join.

5 NHS Number

6. NI Number

7. Birth Certificate

8. Last 3 service reports (RAF & Army)

When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

a) Your former service records.

b) Your former medical records.

The AFCO can not process your application without first taking copies of the above documentation.

The AFCO will then apply for your former records. (Typically this takes about 3-4 weeks for former RN/RM & RAF applicants, former ARMY applicants is approx 6-8 weeks). On receipt the AFCO will then apply for permission to process your application- this takes a further 3-4 weeks & is granted by your future Branch Manager. Providing you are considered a viable candidate for re-entry, the AFCO can then proceed with your application. If you left with a poor Army, RAF or RN service record, your application will most lkely be turned down by the Branch Manager.

If you were rejoining as a Trained rating- ie qualified already in the job you are re-joining, you have to be interviewed, pass medical, PJFT & have your Security Clearance renewed before the AFCO can apply for permission for you to re-enter service. Your Branch Manager will advise what additional training you must undergo upon re-joining, subject to when you left the service.

Your Royal Navy Recruiting Test (RT) has to have been passed within the last three years, and have scored high enough for the trade you wish to join. ALL former RAF & ARMY candidates, together with RN/RM applicants who have underscored or are out of date will be required to sit the RT. If you score high enough, you will be interviewed & if found suitable you will be medically examined & if you are passed fit for service you will undergo the pre-joining fitness test. In addition, all medical staff will need to be CRB checked also. (Any civil offences involving dishonesty are a bar to entry for Medical or Logistics).

If you pass all of that the AFCO will then re-apply for security clearance, which takes about 6-8 weeks. After being granted security clearance the AFCO then apply for permission for you to re-enter the service.

You should be aware that the waiting time to enter the service can vary from month to month and is subject to variance because of the limited amount of training places available and the number of applicants at any given time.

There are several things you should also take in to consideration when re-joining the Service, but two major considerations are as follows:

1. You may be required to undergo phase one training at HMS Raleigh if you are a former RN/RAF/ARMY applicant or did not complete phase one training to an adequate standard previously, or depending on the Branch Manager & your former service records, if you have been out of the Royal Navy over 18 months & wish to change trades. Your future Branch Manager will decide under which circumstances you may re-join, it is not negotiable.

2. You will re-join the service on the AFPS 05 pension scheme regardless of which scheme you left on - this is significantly different to the earlier AFPS 75 scheme and you would be strongly advised to investigate further how this will affect you.

The thing to remember is that re-entry is by no means guaranteed & your former records of RN & RAF service is a key factor in your being permitted to re-enter. If you submitted PVR from the RN previously, that option is no longer available to you & you will be required to complete phase two training, complete 2.5 years return of service, before you may submit 12 months notice to leave.

Hopefully you can transfer in-service as originally stated, it's much, much easier. How long does it take? Well that's largely up to the Army.

Again, the very best of luck to you.
  6. oh ninja you smart arse, I thought my advice was far more useful :(
  7. janner

He copied it from a previous post
  8. Ninja_Stoker

RC was impressed!
  9. janner

She's a lawyer, with a thing for Stokers, easy for you to impress
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, understandable I s'pose. Happens all the time to be honest, it's hell working in an AFCO.
  11. Ninja I was informed my Proceed Request was sent to HQ on 29 07 08.

Should I chase or wait-out? Its a fine balance between being keen and being annoying!

I applied for Sea Spec if this has any bearing.

Should I just trust the AFCO in keeping me informed?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Good question, well put.

Bearing in mind the guy who processes re-entries & transfers, a jolly nice Warrant Officer Stoker (yep, same branch as me) generally goes on holiday in his "Tin Tent" during the month of August, so this may well be a case of "Send" followed by "Wait, Out".

At AFCO level, rather than face ear-ache from a grumpy chap at HQ, we tend to allow around 4 to 6 weeks before ringing-up to ask about progress on a "permission to enter service" request.

The branch of preference is not particularly relevant, however you should be aware there's currently about a 12 month wait from passing the Recruiting Test to entry for Seaman.
  13. janner

Ninja, I had something to do with recruiting in my old job, one thing I used to advise applicants was that if they were in a position to do so, was to make it clear that they were available for interview/entry at short notice. Several got into the job months before their original startby date, to cover those that had changed there minds at the last moment.

Is there any advantage to would be recruits in doing this?
  14. Hey, that's not fair, you make me sound cheap!
  15. janner

Lawyer = Cheap .... does not compute!
  16. "rather than face ear-ache from a grumpy chap at HQ"

N-S, that wouldn't be KH by any chance, would it?
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Tsk, as if.... :thumright:
  18. Thank you for your reply Sir. Above understood and will W/O a little longer.

I was thinking of switching from Seaman to WS(AWW) due to the long wait and thinking what may be involved within the SEA branch.

I have been informed before that SEA wait is some 12 months. Must be a popular branch.

I also have information that WS(AWW) wait is 3 months? Can I conclude that this is an unpopular branch?
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Despite what many may say, the wait is simply an equation of applicants vesus training places available.

WS is the largest trade in the Navy, Seaman is considerably smaller so there are fewer joining dates available.

Doubtless some disaffected individuals wil state that WS is unpopular because you have to do cleaning and hull preservation (Painting & Greasing)whilst they neglect to notice EVERYONE has to undertake menial tasks as we don't fly a squad of cleaners in to do it for us. Despite being told of this, it's the usual matelot drip (moan) that no-one told them of this before they joined. Happily for you, I just have! :thumright:
  20. lol, I have no problem cleaning what-so-ever. I consider it part of the job. Funny, no one told me I had to clean brass and tanks in the army. I have even painted grass before as it was not green enough!

I am more concerned with my age. Waiting another year in my personal circumstances to do a job I want and have a lifestyle I want will be very hard. I also assume keeping my age in mind that SEA would be more physically demanding than WS? Without coming over as negative I have to realise that I am not in my twenty's any more.