Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to research deceased in-laws RNR & WRNS service

Good evening.
As a 2008 Christmas gift to my husband, I would like to give him his deceased father's service record with the British Merchant Marine and WW2 RNR as well as his deceased mother's WW2 service record with the WRNS. We don't know much other than for some reason both were posted to New York where they met one another and eventually married. Could someone point me in the proper direction?

On a different point, my husband's deceased father wore a tie with insignia which I have not been able to trace. Supposedly it has something to do with his naval service. The tied is navy blue with a silver diagonal stripe made of terylene. Between the diagonal stripes, there are several gold ovals within which there appears to be a green seahorse or dragon superimposed upon silver horizontal stripes (could be waves). The top portion of an gold anchor (the loop through which a rope would go through) is sitting on top of the gold oval and the anchor base with the points are underneath the gold oval. Would anyone recognize this insignia? The tie was made for Miller, Rayner & Haysom Ltd., London according to the small label inside the tie.

Any assistance would be appreciated.



War Hero
Looks like the tie company may still be in existance try contacting them on their website: - 2k
I got my fathers RN record from HMS Centurion and very interesting it was as he rarely talked about it, as indeed those who have been through a lot don't tend to.
I had to pay but not a lot and they keep records going back hundreds of years.
Exactly how I went about it I can't remember but looking up HMS Centurion would be a good start.
It does take a while and you have to show you have some sort of family connection but I found it worthwhile and very, very enlightening.
Allison - Copies of service records can be obtained using the instructions on the Veterans UK website here.

The naval heraldic device you describe may well be a ship's badge, several of which can be seen via this link. Does the badge for HMS Orwell look anthing like it?


War Hero
Book Reviewer
War medals can still be claimed if that has not already happened. Process can take a year as, reasonably, applications for serving personel have priority. Helps if service number is known so go for the papers first (which wilalso take some time).

You need to pay a visit to the National Archives online database which will tell you if they hold any records on any members of your family who served in any of the Armed Forces or Reserves.

You can search for information on family in the RNR at the link below.

MN service recards can be searched for at the link below.

Good luck

Thank you all for your various and helpful responses. Still haven't tracked down the tie insignia although there are bits and pieces of it in the various admiralty shields. I sent an e-mail to the company through their web-site but to date have no response.

Checked the National Archives but as both served during WW 2, the records are not public domain yet. So I will have to let the cat out of the bag and have my husband sign the forms to obtain his parents service records--but that will be alright--they will still be a surprise for his brother and sister. And while we are at it, we will check into the medals situation and see what he might be able to receive. Apparently my deceased father-in-law never went in for that sort of thing but Alastair very much admires his grandfather's medals which have been mounted so maybe we can do the same thing.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all your help. If you come up with other ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
northern-matelot Trying to research my Great-Grandad The Quarterdeck 25
MoD_RSS Surge in smokers trying to quit see increased success rates in 2020 MoD News 0
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
L I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandfather. Nearest & Dearest 2
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 10
couper172 Trying to apply through website Joining the Royal Navy 5
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
ws1602 Trying to join - fight against the medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Trying to prove a medal History 6
W Hello .. my name Dick Chaytor and i am trying to find anyone who were class mates of Blogs 31
A time done trying to find any 1 joined up 22/6/76 The Quarterdeck 24
soleil Mail: "Chinese Hackers Caught Trying To Steal Secrets Of Our New Stealth Fighter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
R Trying to find my Dad History 7
J Joining up. Trying to decide upon a specialisation. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Julia - Trying to trace my Father's WW2 record Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
SONAR-BENDER Trying to re-create a taste of 'The Old Navy' at home The Gash Barge 11
scouse Chockhead trying to do the FDOs Job!!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 1
TheLa Mail: "RN Loses 2,000lb WW2 Mine Off Essex Coast After Trying To Blow It Up" The Fleet 40
B Trying to find Barry Edward Adams Submariners 1
Rumrat Their really trying Diamond Lil's 33
R Trying to re-join the royal navy what a nightmare !!!!!! Submariners 17
C Trying to be Pro-active Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P DT article on Russians (trying) to track Trident boats Submariners 13
B Trying to find The Quarterdeck 28
NotmeChief Brown trying for the sympathy vote? Current Affairs 10
J Trying to find a "Michael" possibly Clarke HMS Dolphin 1975 Social & Reunions 7
Ja5on Trying to help my friend Charity 11
GuyC Trying to get fitness up to scratch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
T Trying to transfer from army to navy please help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
L I'm trying to find someone! Can you help me please? The Corps 14
T Trying to trace Robert P Wilson History 22
K Trying to find an old Chops S URNU cox'n The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
M I am worthy of trying to earn the wings? The Fleet Air Arm 13
V TRYING TO FIND MY FATHER AFTER 30YRS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
wet_blobby Help, trying to find a thread.... Diamond Lil's 2
Nigaramus Trying to Re-establish branch of the Submariners Association Submariners 0
D Ex Stoker trying to become a Kiwi The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 14
brazenhussy trying to find........... Submariners 3
P trying to find former oppos The Corps 10
MoD_RSS Science Minister on ‘The Research Landscape’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Annual Research and Development Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity regulator appoints interim manager to Islamic Research Foundation International MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government invests in Covid research at St Andrews University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to fund COVID-19 research in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £500,000 funding for innovative research to diagnose TB in cattle faster MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ARSAC to launch online portal for research applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government invests £150,000 in Scottish research projects to boost jobs and create skills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK and TCELS to jointly support COVID-19 research in Thailand MoD News 0
Similar threads

Latest Threads