Trying to re-join the royal navy what a nightmare !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by robert johnson, Apr 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi everyone just want to see if there is ayone on here who could help
    in january 2010 i left the royal navy submarine service after 10 years and have come to regret it.

I have been trying to rejoin but keep hitting brick walls i first went in to the careers office about 12 weeks ago and told then i would like to rejoin they just looked at me and pretty much said i have no chance they scaned my discharge papers and said they would be in touch. 8 weeks passed so i contacted them to see what was happening they then put me through to a chief who said i sould have been given forms to fill in and he would get them right out to me that was 2 weeks ago so i phoned to say i had not received them then i was told they had no record of me coming in to the careers office or asking for any forms they have asked me to come back in so hey can take copies of my discharge records again so basically ive just wasted the last 3 months of my life waiting for these idiots.

i just wanted to know is there a problem with people wanting to rejoin im only 29 and my naval record was perfect and i was recommended for future service so i cant se a problem also i would love to find out a way of complaining about the careers office and its staff any help would be appreciated thanks :pottytrain2:

2. I never had any problems rejoining. I did rejoin before the defence review. However saying that I had no problems with the process itself. I reapplied in the October 2009 into a similar branch I left as (branch obsolete) and walked back through the gate in March 2010 Longest period was the waiting for the permission to proceed from CNR.

Even though I had a 7 year career break, I got back in and for me personally was the best decision! A failed civi yes.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe your eyesight doesn't meet the required entry standards..?

Good effort! Got the knock back and dripping already! There are plenty of AFCO staff on here who will give you the definitive answer, but don't be surprised if they're not too "enthusiastic"... :|

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Im in process of rejoining, actually I'm back in a couple of months. But never had any problems, I've been kept informed of everything.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not heard of any particular or specific problems with rejoining the submarine service (in your former trade) providing the applicant meets the eligibility criteria, provides all the discharge documentation (certificate of Service, Discharge Certificate), last few pay statements, is recommended further service, wasn't discharged on medical or disciplinary grounds & the requirements manager gives the nod.

Generally the AFCO will take copies of all the discharge documentation once the completed application forms have been submitted by the applicant, together with a signed consent form for the release of Med docs from INM & termination certificate from West Battery. Once in receipt of this paperwork the Med Docs & Termination certificate are requested (up to 4 weeks), then "permission to process" is requested - another 4 weeks on average, after which the terms under which you may rejoin are determined & the selection process is instigated.

If you wish to join in another branch to that in which you served, then assuming you are eligible be prepared for a long wait for a training place - 18 months plus for most trades.

Those unhappy with the manner in which their application has been processed, (or not processed) wishing to reclaim the wasted months of their lives, should submit a written complaint to the Area Recruiting Manager at the local AFCO (AFCO addresses at link below) for investigation & referral to CNR, in the usual manner of service complaints.

Best of luck with the application.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. cut of age

First of all my apologises if this answer has already been provided in another subject, but after a good thrall could not find what I was looking for.

Does any one know the cut of age for rejoins to the C.I.S. trade?

Many thanks

Jockspuds.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Good question. It depends how long you've served & whether you reached trained status.If you did not complete training, you must join before your 37th birthday so that you can complete 18 years before reaching age 55'

Regardless of your former contract, you rejoin on the AFPS 05 contract (at the moment). This means, assuming you left as a trained rank & your break in service is less than 5 years, you subtract the years previously served from 18 (the length of your new contract if aged 22 or more). You then add that figure to your age & must be able to complete that amount of Service before your 55th birthday.

For example if you're now aged 40 and have already served, say 10 years, you will rejoin on the new contract with 8 years to serve.

Your original pension, if you joined before 2005, remains preserved but cannot be added.

I need a lie down after that.

8. Ninja_Stoker

PS: All this assumes you are eligible & recommended for further service. If the break in service is over five years, it can get "iffy".

9. wow check the big brain on you, cheers for that, so I'm 34 served six years previous, which means I will be joining on a 12 year contract with two different pensions after wards, with end of service at 46..

10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, sounds about right.

It's worth submitting a subject access request if you don't have any old pay statements as you will then hopefully rejoin with at least partial pay seniority.

Good luck.

11. Ninja - it seems you have a big brain. Happy days. I have having trouble typing this as it hsa taken many moments of going back and correcting and stuff...but as you are the a[[arentl;y the biggest brianed person on this site I would like to take thos opportunity to wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous new yer. so there. kisses. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Had a good celebration tonight Polto? :drunken:

Made me chuckle, hope your hangover is not too severe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 'Big brianed' winky face.

Ninja is a legend, i agree less drunkenly.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phew...still live, apparently. Spell checker working again this morning.

15. Again thanks a million happy new year

16. So having drawn my state pension for the last 5 years and gap of service 41 years, you're saying they won't have me back?

17. I've just realised why people want to be submariners, from the RN site,
    Submariners receive a £5000 ‘golden hello’ on completion of training, and a daily supplement to their basic pay of between £12.48 and £27.47 plus an extra £15 per day at sea. They also receive a nuclear propulsion supplement of between £3 and £21.02 per day.

Back in the day I volunteered for the cap tally, neaters and about a £1 a day extra, it's serious coin today, but do they get the calibre of person they're looking for? if Astutes visit to my home town of Southampton is anything to go by, probably not!

18. Ninja_Stoker

The way things are with Chefs at the moment, they'd probably consider exhuming you if you could still cook to the same standard.

• Funny Funny x 3