Trying to find out about my late father Service or anyone who has memories of him - Yeah, its a long shot.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
If he has a SAM, I assume he was on Hermes, so you could try that page on FB too! All ships will have a FB page. Worth a try! If he was a 'character' people will remember him, so hopefully you'll get some dits back! There is also a SAM association.

If he has a SAM, I assume he was on Hermes, so you could try that page on FB too! All ships will have a FB page. Worth a try! If he was a 'character' people will remember him, so hopefully you'll get some dits back! There is also a SAM association.
Excellent, I'll give those a go and see where I get to on that. He was indeed on HMS Hermes....Not sure of the exact date though. In the meantime; thanks for all your help. :)

Chris P

War Hero
As SONAR-BENDER says being a character and chef at 6'7" you should find people who knew him on those pages, every ship's company he was part of would've known him one way or another - we all had to eat!!
You'll no doubt get some very entertaining dits in response.
Good luck..

fishhead

War Hero
@HalfInchEvans You quoted your dad's official number as starting 080. I joined before him and my number starts 085. As for as I know official numbers were issued numerically so he either started earlier than you think or his number is different.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
@HalfInchEvans You quoted your dad's official number as starting 080. I joined before him and my number starts 085. As for as I know official numbers were issued numerically so he either started earlier than you think or his number is different.
Not necessarily @fishhead , it depends where he joined up, I joined up in Nov 73 at Ganges, my oppo on the Rusty B (also a greenie) joined up the same time but at Raleigh, my number started D143, his started D136.

I cannot confirm the exact date that he joined other than April 1965. I'm not entirly sure where he joined. His official number is indeed D0809147F. I have his official number here....funnily enough on a 1982 Falklands Taskforce Tankard. Currently in the process of trying to get the RN to reissue his medals as the origonals were pinched in a Burglary in 1993. I'm also trying to source his service records (in progress).

Cheers, :)

As SONAR-BENDER says being a character and chef at 6'7" you should find people who knew him on those pages, every ship's company he was part of would've known him one way or another - we all had to eat!!
You'll no doubt get some very entertaining dits in response.
Good luck..
I think everyone had to eat.... Depending on what mood he was in would almost have dictated wether or not you got service with a smile. Knowing a bit about my dad (from my mother) this would have most likely been Foxtrot Oscar, Enjoy your Scran. :D

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Don't ever rest your bum on the edge of the counter waiting for the cooks to let the food get cold enough to eat - 'Geroff, that's for rissoles, not arrseholes!'

Perry

Lantern Swinger
As far as I know medals are not reissued unless of course there is PR or something else involved. However you can buy reproductions and they will engrave with name, rate, number. Had some done for the wife for her great uncle of WW1 era.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Medals may be re-issued depending on circumstances

Other than that, as Perry says, you'll have to "go private"

NotLost

Midshipman
I cannot confirm the exact date that he joined other than April 1965. I'm not entirly sure where he joined. His official number is indeed D0809147F. I have his official number here....funnily enough on a 1982 Falklands Taskforce Tankard. Currently in the process of trying to get the RN to reissue his medals as the origonals were pinched in a Burglary in 1993. I'm also trying to source his service records (in progress).

Cheers, :)
Is that official number correct 9 digits?