Trying to find out about my late father Service or anyone who has memories of him - Yeah, its a long shot.

Hello All,

I hope you are all well

Posting here is not something I've ever thought about really until very recently. This one is quite a long shot. I am trying to find out any information or memories from anyone who may have served with my late father in the RN. He joined in April 1965 and served until 1987 when he was diagnosed with cancer and pushed up the weeds a year later (13th Jan 1988). Myself, I am his one and only son and as the title of this post says; I'm trying to see if anyone remembers him or has any memories of him. I have read the rules on posting someones name; however he is deceased and not sure if this still applies. My late father was also married to my mum who was Ex WRNS (also deceased). Ironically he was actually my mum's boss. This initial post I am fully aware is a bit vague as I've kep his and my mum's details out of this as not to breech forum rules. I can however without divulging his name confirm that he spent plenty of time working at HMS Drake, HMS Cambridge and served on several ships including HMS Hecla, HMS Hermes, HMS Ark Royal and HMS Danae (Good on 'ere int it) The only other thing that I can say at this point is that he was also a Leading Cook (L/Ck) and his nickname was something you asssociate with "Car" and is something everyone who drives tends to avoid like the plague.

Nice one people and stay safe.

Half-Inch-Evans

No reason that you can't post full details on them both as they have crossed the bar.
Thanks for the reply:

Okay then, I'll post somethin a little more informative. :)

Father name: Anthony Eric Evans - "Crash Evans"
ON: D080947F
Last Posting: HMS Cambridge 1986/7
Treated for Illness at Royal Navy hospital, Stonehouse, Plymouth
DOD: 13th Janurary 1988.

He was a defiant bugger to the end. Strange obsession with Nutty (I take after him). Also somewhat partial to the creature. Thankfully that is one thing I don't take after.

Mother's name: Caroline Ann Evans (Formally Rice) Nickname: "Nolegs" -
Last Posting: HMS Drake 1980 (Left to spit me out and raise me)
DOD: 11th Feburary 2016

This may or may not be opening Pandora's box. I like to live dangrously though.

If people have memories or thoughts; I'd like to hear them. It's most likely a long shot as he'd be 72 now as he was 39 when he expired.

Cheers,

Half-Inch-Evans

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
Possibly trade and rank on leaving!!

As a Wafu I'm 'assuming' because of the Cambridge bit he may have been a gunnery rate. But with assumption being the mother of all c0ck ups!!! He could have been anything. (Except maybe a Woo!!!)

It's the weekend so be patient with us!!

Possibly trade and rank on leaving!!

As a Wafu I'm 'assuming' because of the Cambridge bit he may have been a gunnery rate. But with assumption being the mother of all c0ck ups!!! He could have been anything. (Except maybe a Woo!!!)

It's the weekend so be patient with us!!
Nah, He's was a chef (L/Ck). HMS Cambridge was his last one as he found out he's got the big C. Promptly laughed it off, went the NAFI and got sozzled. He passed away 2 weeks before his official 22 years. The Navy let that one slide though. I do have memories of visiting at him at Drake and Cambridge and distinctly remember going aboard Hecla at one point and my dad (being 6ft 7) banging his head on everything and coming up with words that'd make the pope blush. While up at Cambridge; he took me to see the gunnery school practicing. I think that one moment, got me my taste for navel weponery and wanting to train as an engineer (I never got in the RN due to a Health condition).

I vividly remember the times in the Navel hospital and me and the old man sneaking off for Nutty binges (I wasn't allowd nutty due to dietry issues). I'd come back from the Naffi bouncing off the walls much to my dad's amusment and irritation of my mum's. I do have photos here of him. Suprised he didn't break the camera. Bless him. The other thing I do remember is his filthy sense of humour and an even more filthy laugh. Like father, like son on that one. :)

1st post says he was a leading cook ;)
And from the quality of the Scran we got at home. a good one. I never did get the taste for babies heads though (at the time). He was obcessed with those and Cheesy Hammy Eggy. His Liver and Onions and homemade bread rolls were the mutts though. Fondly remember those. :)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
'It's most likely a long shot as he'd be 72 now as he was 39 when he expired.'

So - a lot younger than some of the coffin dodgers on here then!

Seriously, I do hope you get some help. Have you also tried FaceAche - Jackspeak or a multitude of other pages. There is probably an exRN Cook's page if you look around. Let us know how you get on. :cool:

I ain't wearing my glasses!!!! And it's dark(ish) and I'm born again blind!!!!

Other than that - DoH!!!!!!
I do have few funny stories though that my mum told me regarding him. He was quite the charactor. Not sure how that would have went down at the time as he'd been trooped a few times for using his toungue and firing off. That said he did attain his LSGC Medal at the end of his service along with with his SA 1982 one. :D

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've found this:

It's a closed group, but if you write to the Admin, they'll maybe let you join, or post the questions you want to ask. It has a lot of members.

'It's most likely a long shot as he'd be 72 now as he was 39 when he expired.'

So - a lot younger than some of the coffin dodgers on here then!

Seriously, I do hope you get some help. Have you also tried FaceAche - Jackspeak or a multitude of other pages. There is probably an exRN Cook's page if you look around. Let us know how you get on. :cool:
I'll have a good dig around and see what I can find. So far, obtaining his service records has been somewhat of a pain in the rear. I will indeed keep you updated. In the meantime, I'll keep digging, chugging the brews and trying not to go on those daft Nutty binges.

As for coffin dodges....Nah. The aim of life is not to go to the grave gracefully, but to skid in sideweays saying "Man, that was one hell of a ride"

:)

Half-Inch-Evans