Trying to decipher my Fathers service records

philuren

Hi, I have deciphered every part of my dads service records but there is one place I can't decipher, plus one entry I don't understand.Records unknown place.jpg
I can't make out where the posting was when he joined MGB2009 on 24th April 1945 - I am pretty sure that the 24th April 1945 was the date that the MGB 2009 was handed over to the Royal Navy from the builders (Commissioned) so that might help. Also I am not sure what MONTELLO is or what the word next to it says - can anyone help?
Montello.jpg

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think it refers to HMS Martello, based in Lowestoft. It's mentioned in the 4th paragraph in the link. MGB's were based there.

philuren

Thanks WreckerL & Sonar-Bender - I scoured several Naval Base lists and trawled the Internet but couldn't find Martello or Bacchante anywhere - you are both Stars :)

Salty-Dog

War Hero
Think I have sussed your last query.
It looks like he was posted to HM Trawler Osako at HMS Martello Lowestoft.
Some info here:

philuren

Thanks Salty-Dog - all the pieces of the puzzle are now complete, it took a while because I had never seen any Service Records before and sat on them for several years - but once I had a proper look and did a little research the pieces all started coming together - and Navy-net just answered the last few pieces, so thanks gentlemen :)

philuren

I am just going to get back into finding out more detail about my dads service - So I know what ships he was on, and I have several snippets from reading many, many books about the odd piece of action that those ships took part in and a rough idea of his general movements during the war. But is there anywhere that I can find much more detail about them? I must have read about 10 books (Dog Boats etc) but there wasn't a huge amount of information on his particular ships - - - so - - - is there anywhere that I can get much more information on his individual ships actions / ports of operation etc. The most detail I got was on MGB 2009 but her history was very short and at the end of the war. Thanks in advance for anyone who can guide me in the right direction :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sometimes you can get lucky and just type the ships name into a google search. Make sure you include HMS. Good luck.

Salty-Dog

War Hero
There are a few stories here
Also try
Royal Naval Historical Branch
Ministry of Defence
24 Store
HM Naval Base
Portsmouth
Hampshire PO1 3LU
Tel. 02392 724893

Latest Threads