Trying to decipher my Fathers service records

philuren

Hi, I have deciphered every part of my dads service records but there is one place I can't decipher, plus one entry I don't understand.Records unknown place.jpg
I can't make out where the posting was when he joined MGB2009 on 24th April 1945 - I am pretty sure that the 24th April 1945 was the date that the MGB 2009 was handed over to the Royal Navy from the builders (Commissioned) so that might help. Also I am not sure what MONTELLO is or what the word next to it says - can anyone help?
Montello.jpg

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think it refers to HMS Martello, based in Lowestoft. It's mentioned in the 4th paragraph in the link. MGB's were based there.

philuren

Thanks WreckerL & Sonar-Bender - I scoured several Naval Base lists and trawled the Internet but couldn't find Martello or Bacchante anywhere - you are both Stars :)

Salty-Dog

War Hero
Think I have sussed your last query.
It looks like he was posted to HM Trawler Osako at HMS Martello Lowestoft.
Some info here:

philuren

Thanks Salty-Dog - all the pieces of the puzzle are now complete, it took a while because I had never seen any Service Records before and sat on them for several years - but once I had a proper look and did a little research the pieces all started coming together - and Navy-net just answered the last few pieces, so thanks gentlemen :)

Latest Threads