Truth or Myth ?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Nicks, Nov 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was always under the impression that as an Ex RN Rating,when you finally go to the great NAAFI in the sky and are cremated you were entitled to have your Ashes scattered at Sea from a Pussers War canoe.

Anyone know if this is so or is it all Bullshit ?

2. L believe you still are - subject to operational needs. Bit of of let-down having one's ashes heaved off the Torpoint Ferry !

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This certainly used to be the case, although with the change in the rules about what can be ditched at sea under MARPOL, I'm not so sure about this. I shall ask some questions if you like.

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that those are US rules - we certainly haven't done a full burial for years and years.

5. I keep thinking about the bit out of Fools and Horses where they scattered Uncle Albert's Ashes of the Cross Channel Ferry !!

6. If its not to much trouble,Cheers.

Although I must state I have no intention of popping my clogs yet !

7. With my luck, I'll be lucky if they use TEEPOL !!

;)

8. It would appear WE haven't used the scroll function for years either,

further down the link you will find further info linking to relevant RN "policies"

Or have a linky to here and follow through to further links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4173400.stm

like this:http: www.mvs.org.uk

:rendeer:

9. Certainly until a few years ago they were doing scattering of ashes at sea out of St Anns in the Dockyard. I don't think there was a large ship, more perhaps one of those little passy boats. I believe it was arranged through the RNNB Chaplaincy, and you get to have your name, in a book that is kept in St Anns.

10. I took part in one in 1997, in fact it was two (an ex-Commander and his wife). Both were cremated, and no ashes scattered, just both urns over the arrse-end.

11. Here you mean?

Clicky the linky !!

Which BTW was from the first link I posted.

Anyway :whew: we got there in the end eh?

12. Sam if you can refrain from being a pompous arse the world would be a nicer place.broken any hearts lately? Pretended to be something you are not recently?

13. Sorry sweetheart, a thank you for helping out an old oppo would have been fine, no need for name calling!

14. Teepol's made a couple of miles from where I live. I feel so guilty. Now Whitemouse, wash your mouth out with some industrial strength Teepol.

On the disposal of one's ashes in the drink. When I was in the RNXS we did indeed commit a former oppo's ashes to the deep, well the oggin off Margate, anyway. We held a ceremony on board: one of my fellow Comms ratings was a Priest during the day, and he conducted the service.

MARPOL seem to be more concerned with discarded oil. If it's OK to discard waste scran into the oggin then surely disposing of old matelots shouldn't be a problem, just so long as the remains are ash. As I'm mad of the G Spot I've already arranged for my sister to have my ashes tipped into the Orwell off Shotley Pier. Sad (& mad), ain't it?

15. As QM. At Dolphin in the 90`s they used to conduct comital of ashes off the Captains barge.

16. Ah yes but Google always depends on the accuracy of the information put into it. By itself it can't be regarded as wholly correct.
    Have it as a friend by all means, but trust to your own common sense.

17. White Mouse,
    liike me you remember Teepol as 0474/862 - God's gift to scrubbing out !

18. Yep you're quite correct, it's a bit like this place then isn't it. :whew:

19. Isadirty and Whitemouse, I can remember when Teepol first replaced soft soap as the sink bosun's friend.
    Sad innit?

2BM