True or false?

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by BillyNoMates, Oct 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please clear up something for me. Having a bit of a "discussion" here after watching
    Channel 4's documentary "The Plane Crash". I'm telling everyone who'll listen that I flew CrabAir
    on several occasions in VC-10's and the seats faced BACKWARDS. They say I'm talking bollocks.
    I'm sure I am correct. Anyone else out there ever fly via CrabAir facing the other way?
    If I'm wrong - I'll be wetting the fu**ing tea all night. Cheers. B.N.M.

2. You are correct BNM.

I joined my first ship in Australia after facing backwards in a CrabAir VC-10 for 28 hours.

That was fun disgust

3. Ballistic. You are my hero. It's good to know that my brain actually remembers stuff, however trivial.
    I remain sir, your humble servant,

Billy.

X X X

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, flew back from Honky Fid on VC10 facing backwards.

5. Flew back from Gib on a Comet and some were back facing and some forward facing and a table in between. Just saying like.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, VC 10's had backward facing seats (all the passenger ones). If memory serves it was because the angle of the take off was so steep.

7. Flew backwards from UK to USA, when I asked, I was told it was the safest way to face if the plane had to do a crash landing as you were braced by the seat and not a lap belt?:???::judge:

8. Yep, always flew backwards on Crab Air. Unless it was on a Hercy Bird!!

Remember getting woken up every couple of hours for the compulsory anti-dehydration orange squash?

Shake, shake, shake........'Would you like a drink Sir?'

(Wipes dribble from mouth) 'No thanks'

'WOULD YOU LIKE A DRINK SIR?'

'Oh, OK then!'

9. I think that's in their sadistic nature, wait until you fall asleep then find an excuse to wake you up, just to make sure your jet lag really kicks in?

10. True. South Africa to UK via some island as part of it fell off. Very reassuring

11. Flew crabair back from the states and we faced backwards, spookily the female crab air attendant looked like the plane had backed into her face!

12. wet_blobby

Ahhhh.... The Herc, a true Crab air experience. You get to fly sat sideways in that one.

13. True, to and from Washington, and in the Herc to Florida via Gander they tried to convert us to crabs

14. Cant remember which way we were facing, but remember the seat was like a garden chair with straps and the flight attendant bod was a mincer, we took coke cans filled with Vodka on and got pissed, he had a hissey fit.

15. [​IMG]

VC 10 Set up for VIP.
    [​IMG]

As we knew it, onc it was half filled with cargo which we ha to climb over to get to our seats.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  16. The Herc was quite a comfortable ride compared to the Dakota. When they took off the tendency was for everyone who wasn't hanging on to finish up in the tail.

2BM

17. Only if it had the seats in it! XD

18. I sat on a train facing backwards, does that help?

19. wet_blobby

You poor sod, standards must have slipped. Crab air always put on 5 * service for us, canvas bucket seats and a cling wrapped chicken leg, but, they did let us take an open air shit over france so it wasn't all bad.

• Like Like x 3
  20. All depends on what you were taking and were you flying (could have been the F Scotsman?)