Trouser Creases

S

SJRM_RN

Out of interest, when did the horizontal creases in trousers cease to be part of the way a No1 uniform was worn?

My entry ( April '78 ) was the first to be issued with No 2 uniform with fore and aft creases, although Nos 1s were already being issued in the aforementioned style. If I recall correctly everyone had to have the new style by mid '79.
I remember that poster from my Sea Cadet days. As hard as I tried, I looked fcuk all like him.

Last edited:
C

canteenflat

My entry ( April '78 ) was the first to be issued with No 2 uniform with fore and aft creases, although Nos 1s were already being issued in the aforementioned style. If I recall correctly everyone had to have the new style by mid '79.
I remember that poster from my Sea Cadet days. As hard as I tried, I looked fcuk all like him.
You will never as he is sporting what the Spanish call Hombreras Even their Valoracion Navales' shoulders look nothing like that artist's impressioin

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
Nov 78 I was issued new style rig but... having got my mits on a perfect fitting, top-notch set of old style 1's, I wore them right up until 84 when I accidentally left them in some MQ's. Never got pulled for wearing them.

Nov 78 I was issued new style rig but... having got my mits on a perfect fitting, top-notch set of old style 1's, I wore them right up until 84 when I accidentally left them in some MQ's. Never got pulled for wearing them.
Am I right in thinking that the MQs in question weren't yours, and you decamped in nicks when the head of the household returned?

I believe our entry was the first to be issued with the fore & aft rig in Sept 77, i got a bollocking for being in the correct rig at culdrose as no one had seen the rig before.

Got issued the new rig after doing killicks course in 1980. I only wore it 3 times, once for mech's selection board, to get married in and for my POMEM's board then I flogged to a skimmer who was going for crusher.

Wore mine for the first time for LRLC at Raleigh in 82 with old type collar and silk, and I wasnt the only one, Q grade A bollocking.

buggered if I can remember, must have been late 70s........As I was a short arse when I joined up, I could only get 5 creases but after a yr or two, I grew 7 inches( in height....IN HEIGHT), and had to buy a complete new kit!

I was one of the poor bastards selected to wear the new rig during its trials in 1972. The CPOGI selected me as he hated me.
So I sucked up to the POGI Pete Overfield and pleaded with him after the first divisions I had to wear it. Satisfied I had well and truly had the urine extracted out of me, he relented and let me return it and wear my own old rig.
I friggin nagged him so much on a daily basis he was glad to let me swap. He couldn't avoid me as I was gunners yoe.:grin:

Just as an after thought, some may not know that three different rigs were trailed in '72 and if anyone thinks the rig choose is a feed of chutney they should have seen the other two.:)

I believe our entry was the first to be issued with the fore & aft rig in Sept 77, i got a bollocking for being in the correct rig at culdrose as no one had seen the rig before.
I'm pretty certain it was 27 Entry of that year - 5 July.

Edit - in accordance with what flying_doc said.

Last edited:
Just as an after thought, some may not know that three different rigs were trailed in '72 and if anyone thinks the rig choose is a feed of chutney they should have seen the other two.:)
4 of us from Fife went to view the proposed designs in Viccy barracks along with a couple of other ships, like a catwalk show the poor bastards ''volunteered'' to wear the new designs had to put up with our laffs and comments ( royal bollocking afterwards), Rummers is right, the other designs looked like they were drawn on the back of a fag packet.

19th July 1977. We were issued with square rig No2's and measured for fore and aft No1's. If I remember rightly the Noz 1's were not ready and we had to pass out in our Noz 2's. I still have my 2's trousers folded up in their creases in the loft. I wonder if they'll still fit................

Does anyone remember details of the alternative 8s trialled in (I think) the 80s? Blue dungaries with, if I remember correctly, a blue noggie style top. Gay in the extreme.

Does anyone remember details of the alternative 8s trialled in (I think) the 80s? Blue dungaries with, if I remember correctly, a blue noggie style top. Gay in the extreme.
Did you save your's big boy?:winkrazz::toothy3:
I don't remember the dungarees but I've still got the noggy shirts they issued with the cargo pocket trousers when they came in. I think Rummers got issued with white duck trolleys, negative shoes and a bale of straw to make his hat.

8) Take away the hook, G.C. badge and ribbon, add a neatly trimmed set and its my double. What a lean mean handsome bastard I am. No wonder that I used to get stacks.:heart::heart: