Trouble with opening some pictures

Dear Gee .... er .. IT whizzes,
I seem to be able to look at most pictures which have been posted, but occasionally they are visible only as a X inside a white box. For example, I cannot see bigbadog's pics on the submersible thread. I have tried right-clicking on it but I don't get an 'open with' prompt. I have also right-clicked it and checked its 'properties' and it's a jpg thingy, which shouldn't pose a problem. Should it? I've even trawled through Nutty's and Andym crash course on pics and searched Bits and Bytes.

So how does one open the little blighters? My lappy is a blood red Vaio so it must be good, not only does it go nicely with my grey suit with cream pinstripe it also has some of the Vista Adobe photo Core Duo stuff inside it as well ... so why can't I see the bloody pictures?

Many thanks! :thumright:

JamesH

Lantern Swinger
Hi Harry,

Could be a problem with the remote server rather than your shiny laptop. If the file is not actually present on the EXACT path specified, you will not see the image. Also, some corporate firewalls block access to the major image sharing sites (photobucket, imageshack etc).

Try downloading the image, see if it can be viewed when downloaded, if not, then it's probably not there.

The other possibility is that you have images turned off in Tools> Options

Let us know.

James

JamesH and Hobbit,
Sorry, it wasn't the Submersible thread it was the Cold War one. The file path of one of the pics I cannot see is http://usera.imagecave.com/goldfish/Periscope.jpg.
It is only rarely that I cannot see a pic that has been posted. I have no trouble seeing most pics nor do I have problems uploading and posting my own picks via imagecave, etc.
Thanks for the help, I'll just keep plugging away.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
A couple of possibilites 'Arry.

As JamesH describes, the file is not present, i.e. you can see the filename, placeheader or spot where the file used to be, but for instance, when someone links to a file from someone else's website this uses bandwidth on the target site, is known as bandwidth leeching, and some web providers that host the site guard against it automatically, so when the user posts it he can see the image but within minutes or even seconds, the host site moves or renames the image to prevent leeching, fair enough since it costs them money every time someone looks at the image

If you are connecting to th'internet via a corporate network, they may have nanny software resident on their stuff that blocks images, ie filetypes with .jpg, or more sophisticated stuff that detects skintones, I know some govt nets that do this and you cant send your phots to people on it, even though they are just holiday/kids snaps etc. You can browse the web but some pics get blocked when theres too much skin (like reading a news site with a headshot close up on a face, sports news etc)

Lastly, the program you are using to look at the images, IE, Firefox etc cannot handle the file. You could DL something like Irfanview which handles every image type you will likely come across, but browsers usually handle all the same file types too, so this is unlikely. Irfanview is a really good prog for images and video anyway, and its free to DL but its the done thing to send the guy £10 (paypal) if you like it and keep it.

Hope that helps any, if you need the nerdspeak breaking down any further just post (standfast Blobbs...)

TomO

Badgeman
and then as an embedded picture...

Great pic James, just gave myself a wave in the Port Waist,careening ship and boiling eggs up the signal mast,happy days.

Tom"O"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition : Trouble at Zero Hour Competitions 25
D PJFT Trouble Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C Heart murmur trouble! Health & Fitness 15
Vrumm Trouble adding new thread Site Issues 2
WreckerL Garda Police trouble Diamond Lil's 2
trelawney126 Fink's Uncle in trouble again Diamond Lil's 11
wet_blobby There be trouble next door. Diamond Lil's 11
J fitness test trouble Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Trouble Sleeping? Diamond Lil's 0
Apple_Catchers Carrier trouble!! Current Affairs 10
S Trouble in store Miscellaneous 0
S Trouble in Grozny Diamond Lil's 2
soleil The Sun: "Deep Trouble" Submariners 14
Maxi_77 UKIP in trouble Current Affairs 11
Andrew_1980 Marines on 'Big Trouble in Thailand' (TV Doco) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 3
M Ex Booty in Trouble The Corps 0
T Paedochristians and their helpers in trouble again! Diamond Lil's 3
H Clarkson in trouble for telling the truth Current Affairs 1
chris1984_99_99 JPA Trouble Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
mikh Mods causing trouble The Quarterdeck 8
Penstar Having trouble getting paid correctly? The Corps 11
Bad CO Site Slow as a Dog on a Go Slow Day (= Server trouble) Site Issues 22
D Canadian Army causes trouble in Cyprus! The Quarterdeck 5
C PONGO'S IN TROUBLE Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS Home Secretary's opening statement to the government’s daily briefing on coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA opening hours: spring bank holiday 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Details on phased wider opening of schools, colleges and nurseries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Truss opening statement, call with the US Trade Representative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter to councils on the re-opening of household waste and recycling centres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministers urge councils to plan for safe re-opening of recycling centres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President speech at opening of Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA opening hours: early May bank holiday 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA contact centre opening hours: Easter 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: Updated Contact Centre opening times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Opening of the First Resumed Session of the Fifth Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spring opening for Britain’s biggest road project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Christmas and New Year opening times 2019-2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Christmas and New Year Opening Times 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM opening words at North Atlantic Council: 4 December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA opening hours: Christmas and New Year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA opening hours: Christmas and New Year 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Opening of Seed Madagascar conference 2019: speech by Phil Boyle (French) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A14 bypass opening date revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remarks for opening of MPs’ Dialogue On Human Rights, Good Governance and Development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extension of pub opening hours in celebration of the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE) Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Opening of the Legal Year 2019: Robert Buckland QC speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Ashgabat announces opening of Chevening scholarships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Built environment sector deal: opening formal negotiations with the sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal opening for £30m education campus MoD News 0