Tropical rig white shoes

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by davy_longshanks, Apr 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Erm, anyone any tips on how to clean/keep clean officers white shoes? I haven't seen any Kiwi white polish the last time I looked in Tescburys!
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Try sending your steward out for a more detailed search, or maybe get him to clean them for you.
    (On a slightly more serious note, I have seen it in big supermarkets and there's always Mr. Minute type shops).
  3. sports shops usually stock whitener or timpsons
    but a word of warning the shoes have a habit of yellowing if you leave the whitener on for for too long clean it off when you get the chance and re doo when the shoes are dry again oh and the fing laces are [email protected] buy a spare pair
  4. Wipe them with a damp cloth then use Kiwi white leather restorer, the one that has a sponge on the end of the bottle.
  5. I normally get my man to do it for me.
    But failing that I give them a good scrub and put fresh whitener on,Kiwi does it for me.
  6. Thats a good bit of advice, but why did youhave to bring sex into it?

We don't care if Kiwi does it for you.

If I PM you will you give us the address, strictly for my missionary work you understand.
  7. Seriouse question,

Do you still wear white webbing in the Andrew and if you do what is it cleaned with?
    We used to "Borrow" blanco from the gunners yeo to clean our white canvas shoes. And when they switched to the waterproof variety it was orgasmic.
    So I had simple pleasures what of it.
  8. I suppose on the good things about not being in the RN as you get older is! Not having to wear white socks!
    Or, :roll: white shoes - something more akin to certain western gentlemen of a certain age who are passengers on flights to a certain Thai city..
  9. tiddlyoggy

Yes we do mate, for guard and shore patrol. As for cleaning it, I don't know. Whitener I assume, you need a funnery rating to answer that definitively. I have only ever drawn it from the armoury and returned it on completion.
  10. Tiddly, another question for you if you don't mind,
    Now there is no tot, whats the currency for favour? is it Beer? and whats the allowance nowadays?
    Also (Twenty Questions here, ) Is it hard to get sea time now and how long ( realistically ) is the usual "Foreign"
    Sorry to be a pain in the transom but am trying to get up to speed, and I have been out of circulation the last couple of years with my health.
  11. tiddlyoggy

The answers you seek:
    1. On ships, beer generally is the favoured payment for services rendered. Shoreside it is still tea and coffee.
    2. Beer allowance is still 3 tins per day for JR's, they can also have those little bottles of wine (don't know how many of), they were introduced for the girlies.
    3. No it definitely is not hard to get sea time. After 23 years in I have almost finished the shortest shoredraft of my career (17 months), ME's (and WE's I think) are all on MTA.
    4. Deployments are generally 6 months long, but ships spend far less time in base port than they used to. For exaple, when I joined ships used to have 3 AMP's (assisted maintance periods, now known as Fleet Time Support Periods, FTSP's) of 4 week duration, with a weeks SMP after to stow the ship tiddly ready for sea, each year. That is now down to 2 FTSP's, sometimes as short as 2 weeks and without the SMP week. Back to back deployments are very common and the lack of baseport time is a real pain in the arse (not just for lack of time at home). When alongside in Guzz for maintenance I expect to lose some of my part of ship hads every week for: firefighting training or requalifying for ISSC, range firings (mandatory annual testing now) etc, etc. Because of all this, people are leaving ships with unbelievable amounts of leave accrued (not helped by JPA). My oppo recently came ashore with 9 weeks leave owing to him.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity, if you have any more please feel free to ask or PM me if you don't want to put it in thepublic eye.

12. Thanks for the info mate, appreciated
    And will call as and when this new stuff"Baffles" me.
    Although better not as at that rate I would have to move in with you.
    I think this navy lark is much better "looking in" than "being in".
    What I miss about being in a ship is "Going Ashore".
  13. tiddlyoggy

Yeah, but even the runs ashore are diminishing. Some ships will do a deployment and only have a few stops, often in the same port, eg; I did a STANAVFORMED trip a few years back went to Soudha Bay twice and Aksaz 2 or 3 times, decent runs I'll grant you, but f****** repetitive. Only other stops were a Spanish naval base (whose name escapes me at the moment) on the way back and Lisbon on the way out.
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's not just occifers who wear white shoes... 8O

Anyway, the best way of not cleaning them is to avoid wearing them in the first place - make yourself duty on board so you have to wear your No. 4s/overalls during Divisions/Ship's Company photo, etc... :wink:
  15. tiddlyoggy

:lol: 'Kin right mate, that's why there's always loads of stokers volunteering for fuel ship or ditching shit when there's a phot on!
  16. Don't the ships stop at Gibraltar anymore?
  17. tiddlyoggy

Rarely, to be honest. I know it always used to be first and last. In my last sea draft I went there once in the whole 2 and a half years, which was great for me as Gib was my first "foreign" run and that last run was, at the time, planned to be my last. Before you ask, yes Charlie is still alive (looks like he's had a face lift or something), but he only opens when a Pusser's war canoe is alongside. It is now not uncommon for matelots to have been in 12 or more years and never to have been to Gib.
  18. Cheers for the I just have to concentrate on not looking as camp as a row of tents :naka: