Troops ordered to strip and change on Birmingham tarmac

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by HarryBosch, Dec 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has already been mentioned. If you have not seen it take a look at ARRSE HERE It makes one ashamed to be British. People on ARRSE and PPRuNe jhave begun firing off emails to Cameron to ask a) who from the AA gave the order and b)which forces OC followed it instead of telling a) to fcuk off?
  2. I am afraid it would have been a big Foxtrot Oscar. To the pig in charge and any other fecker that crossed my path?

If I actually came across a thing like this I would have to go in guns blazing and ask what the fecks going on here??

I am sure/I know Joe and Josephine Public would have given the lads a big cheer.

I see often the Irish army lads in combats waiting for friends at Dublin airport none of the take your uniform off shite.
  3. What a load of crap. I was once stood at preston station in 4's (8's to the old sea dogs). And i had some woman telling her child (around $ years old) what we did and how we looked after the country.
    On another occasion in 4's again had been driving home. There was a major RTA around Wigan and the traffic was stood still engines switched off. I decided to get out just to streach my legs. Got back in my car.
    Next minuite had an asian guy knocking on my window. to offer me some sweets he had in his car. Saying he saw the unifrom and he aprechiated what the armed forces were doing.
    There is support from the public but our govenment seems to want to stop any of this support. Its sad when you see the videos of american troops coming back to a round of applouse in airport terminals. And yet we seem to be hidden away from the public.
  4. I'm hoping this story turns out to be a case of an overzealous cock-up on the part of one or two idiotic individuals.
  5. Must admit, as a civilian, that's how I view it. Most, like myself, have nothing but admiration and respect for the boys and girls serving throughout the world. Only person who doesn't is that Stalin wannabe in number 10.

As PartTimePongo says this is not exactly coming from a 100% reliable source (not that I am implying the ARRSEr fabricated the incident) and details are far from confirmed.

If this is the case then I am outraged :angry4: but sadly not surprised, only in the UK can we have an unelected premier dictate and treat the public services so shoite.

Take Care,

Armchair Hero
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Sounds a bit odd - I flew into Birmingham last year on a Tristar on the way back from Basra after icy fog closed all the Southern airports. We were actually on our way to Glasgow when we turned back to land in Brum. It was a Sunday morning and we had to stay onboard for 30 minutes until the airport opened up and then we all trooped through customs (no stops) in dessie cam complete with lids and ECBA. There was a massive rush to sort us out - I recall having my weapon & kit in less than 10 minutes. Snag was waiting for the official transport - the only one's who were sorted were the aircrew who disappeared pretty sharpish. The remainder waited for ages - we were just leaving when the local police turned up with 4 armed coppers to "protect us" - great timing.
    I can't begin to tell you just how much of a knob that quote makes you appear!
  7. Unbelievable!

In uniform, during the 50/60s, you could get on a London Bus and the Conductors would refuse your fare, and let you travel for free. And it was almost impossible to go into a Pub without someone buying you a drink, and girls appeared from no where just to touch your collar.

Now, as a Pensioner, I seem to hear and read stories like the one above all too often, and it just fills me with despair. A more appropriate quote would possibly be John Chap 11 Verse 35.

8. If this story is true I would say the knob would be those in charge.

I remember long ago the TA being arrested outside a UNI after students feared a army takeover. They where standing on the corner complete with SLR.

Jacko told us I never ever want to hear about a bootie having his weapon taken away by the police or do anything to disgrace the corp.

So if this is true which I doubt it. The guy in charge is a pig for disgracing his regt. And should be in charge of a toffee shop.
  9. For people like me who have no idea about the bible

John 11:35

Jesus wept.
  10. You mean you never read your bible!

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."

Proverbs 12:16
  11. Quality Post Backpacker.

Proverbs 9 Verse 9

12. wave_dodger

Its still not been proven this this incident actually happened - but IF it did, there may be many reasons.....

OMNI air flying into the civilian airport - MoD and BAA wanting to keep it low key. Possible, but how would they get the 150+ people changed into civvies, they'd be in the hold!

Or, local int - after they lifted that "alleged" maker of interesting devices....

People directing venom at the "pig" in question - which one? is pointless, he/she will be (I forget the acronym) - one of the 'senior' Commissioned Officers chosen to be the Passenger liaison - doing as he is told.

It'll probably all be bolloids anyway
  13. Having read the 8 pages on arris I have yet to see any evidence as is this incident happened.

Having work airside at an International Airport LHR there is no way they would allow 150 squaddies to wander around an aircraft on a stand sorting out bags and changing clothes. If it was going to happen they would have been taken to an airside lounge by bus with out bags. Then given their now unloaded bags and told to change before going into Immigration and Customs.

14. There is doing as you are told matey and doing things[if this story is true]that ridicule you and the lads under your command.

Point I was making this is UK not Iran!

Are we at the point where we now have servicemen and women being told to change into civvies by chinless wonders all the time. Yet we have black hooded female[I think] figures lurking round supermarkets frightening the kids.

I am not a racist but I detest peoples marching in and demanding we abide by there way of life. Abide by the UK way if not Foxtrot Oscar and stop making the UK FUBAR

I do know the military flights into Shannon are not very popular especially when it is revealed certain persons are taking certain persons to a place far away via Shannon. TD Have asked Gardai to inspect all US military aircraft. That should be fun?
  15. wave_dodger

You appear, from these posts, to have a real issue with Officers/authority - chinless wonders, pigs...

I haven't a clue what you do for a job but assume you are a RMR - if you ever get to a command position you'll find out soon enough that there are sadly many times when you have to take decisions that you know will be unpleasant, popular and rarely, downright nonsensical - but they are right in the greater scheme of things - thats what we do. We don't work in a complete autocracy - orders, policy can and are often sensibly questioned - but at the right time...."if" and I don't believe this incident has happened, on landing the crew were told that to disembark all PAX had to be in civvies - either a MoD, BAA or local police decision then it'd be a very very naive individual who said "ram it" and marched the people off.

Anyway - since when did the 'possible' landing of a trooper into BHX and the military PAX being requested to wear civvies become akin to living in Iran? I wasn't even aware that (assuming you mean) female muslims wearing their tradtional dress scare children in supermarkets?
  16. I don't do anything for a job as you put it! Happily retired im my coastal cottage watching the dolphins and a daily trip into the mountains to chat with the Leprechauns. It was a grand day when I met Brian Connors the King of the Leprechauns to be sure it was now.

He is the old person in authority I have ever looked up to. A grand man he is!

Everyone in Ireland knows that a Leprechaun has a weakness. The wild and careless Leprechauns value their freedom even more than gold. Anyone lucky enough to capture Leprechauns can keep them in a potato sack until they beg to be let free in exchange for a pot of gold. By the Laws of the Legends, the Leprechauns must keep their word.

Damn I never knew that!!

I know all about unpleasant decisions. Should I live in the UK or on the coast in Ireland. I decided that it would be Ireland Guinness is just not the same in the UK over here it is the drink of the Gods.

Oh yes I remember the black hooded one frightening the kids in the local supermarket to the point the parents complained.

What would Capt Mannering think about it all now. To quote Frazer "WE ARE ALL DOOMED DOOMED I SAY"

Avoid conflict and anger

More energy is wasted on conflict than anything else. Conflicts and anger are seldom righteous in nature. Even when they start out over a righteous cause, the problem quickly becomes the conflict and not the righteous cause. Entire churches and nations have been destroyed over foolish conflicts that could have been dropped had anyone been wise enough to walk away. Solomon teaches us to avoid conflict, strife and anger. Even the best argument is wasted on a fool.

· “A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.†(Proverbs 14:16)

· “It is an honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.†(Proverbs 20:3)

· “It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.†(Proverbs 10:23)

"Nollaig Shona Duit" Merry Christmas!
  17. If this is true, be interested to see if the media pick up on it tomorrow - unless a correspondent trawls these forums. If tis true, I'd like to see heads roll for this - the insult to all who did and especially do wear a uniform beggars belief. Check check check................
  18. I doubt they will print a story about Backpacker1uk watching the dolphins and taking a daily trip into the mountains :lol: Well maybe in the Scum :roll: :lol:

:oops: I'll get me coat.

Armchair Hero
  19. If this incident happened as described, I suspect it arose from the misinterpretation of some well-meaning advice, e.g. "We've had to land at a non-Service airport. If any of your guys want to clean into civvies for their onward travel, now's the time to do it." It wouldn't be the first example of a suggestion or rhetorical question being turned into an order with unintended consequences, e.g. "Who will rid me of this turbulent priest?"

It seems strange that there has been no corroboration from any other source and I doubt BAA was even aware of it happening.
  20. It could be a misinterpretation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a request from civ authorities afraid of offending someone. Ironically what offends religious minorities most about British Christian society is that we don't stand up for our principles - we are happy to retitle Christmas "Wintertide", we are happy to tread carefully around religious topics in case we offend, and we are happy to remove our uniform in public in case someone takes it the wrong way. Perhaps if we (as a country) were to be a bit more proud of what we are and what we stand for then the UK wouldn't be the mess it currently is.