Troops in Mali

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Handler, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News reports that up to 40 troops could be deployed to help in training. Last week it was 2 transport aircraft, followed by a Sentinel at the week-end. Where is all this going to end....................?
  2. Dave's getting like Hitler towards the end.
    Committing troops we dont have to battles we cant win.
    It seems that the Nostradamus predictions are comming true.
  3. Big intervention in North Africa is next on the cards for us I reckon. This will spill over into Libya, Algeria, Somalia too.
  4. Will there be medals? I hope there's medals. Think of the kudos a Timbuktu gong will carry.
  5. Medals are merely a sign of gash drafting shippers.

I still stand by my impressive record of 6 years regular service, 5 years part time service, 42 countries visited and not a single medal.

I didn't even bother to pick up my Diamond Jubilee gong because I'd left by then.

Apparently it's in the post.

Come to think of it, I never even got my first GCB because I joined as a sprog and was on terminal leave when it would've been issued.

My most impressive decoration is my Nav's Yeo badge. If you look up gash hand in the dictionary, there is a picture of me.

Of course I do have one of these, but no **** know's what it is:

6. Kin'ell 2 Deck - you didn't even get the Black Spot - you got the Brown Dot.
  7. Perchance the Barbary Coast all over again, eh?

Seems like Uncle Sam might be have to step in for a re-run of his first overseas military action: 1805 Battle of Derne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Cue - '"From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli..."
  8. wal

wal Badgeman

O! NO! the black spotted turquoise triangle. We're all doomed, we're all doomed I tell thee.

9. Nor do we,

But some of us were there when you received it.

10. This government seem to have a death wish, not for themselves of course but for young British servicemen. If every combat unit / ship and aircraft was required to have an MP with them on all missions. I wonder how often servicemen would be sent off to sort other countries problems out.

11. BBC News - Mali crisis: 350 UK military personnel sent to West Africa#

350 military personnel according to the beeb
  12. Yep, a medal in the shape of a P45 form.

and here is camroon giving out the Olympic medals....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  13. This government? How many conflicts have this government got us into? A minor air and offshore skirmish in Libya and now a handful of training bods in Mali.
  14. Ooh, ohh! I do!
  15. Snooker badge.
  16. A Gollywog nose?
  17. So do I :laughing1:
  18. Great timing Cameron, it's only a few days ago that the announcement was made that just over five thousand soldiers will be handed their P45's this summer. As the government are aware of the increase in terror groups in North Africa is this really the time to be making swingeing cuts to the armed forces? The army is well on the way to having its lowest numbers for over 200 years, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
  19. Firstly, I strongly believe that the Cameroon and his pals are putting the death blows into all 3 Services. The amount of money required to avoid this lunacy would be less than 0.5% of our residual GDP; but no, it won't win any votes and might strain the sodding "alliance" with the Whigs.

That said, the hornets nest in former Frog Africa can't be ignored and it's better for Johnny Frog to take the lead than good ol' Sammy Septic. Like the buggers or not, they deserve our support. Who else is going to do it in a credible way? Our trusty warlike allies in the EU? Despite the popular Press description of the World Stage, it's not a bloody theatrical event. It's real security concerns and action to contain it. I also heard a BBCite reminding us today that the Septics started off as "advisors" and "trainers" in former French Indo China. I believe it was Gen Mike J that said that to fight with Americans, we don't have to fight like them. The same applies here; we don't have to make their mistakes. We have to make something, though, as if we don't, some other bugger might and possibly to our detriment.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. No it wasn't, that announcement was may made way back with the original SDSR, hence it is Tranche 3 of the redundancy round.
    • Like Like x 1