Troop shortages force Navy to plug gaps in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Jul 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DT

Matelots with guns!

2. Mate this has been going on for a very long time now.
    Matelots (MEM'S) are also getting the opportunity to train as VMs and do a tour with Royal, working on the Vehicles as VMs with Blue Berets.

3. Naval Strike Wing have been going out for a few years now.
    Plus matelots asigned to the other Harrier squadrons. Seems to be loads of General service at Kandahar!!!

4. Well this has been going on for some time now and, yes, it does show the versatility of Navy personnel, of which we should be justly proud.

However, is that the only conclusion that one can draw? Well, no. In fact a couple more could be drawn (not by me but by joe public):

1. We have not enough soldiers and
    2. Too many sailors, so...

3. Why not reduce number of sailors and increase number of soldiers and that way...
    4. You don't have to turn sailors into ersatz soldiers.

Simple thinking, yes but dangerous for the Navy in a way (in the same way that overplaying our hand would be - us: "look we can work on land too" media "yes, but wouldn't it be better if you were trained specifically for land warfare", us "what, like as, in the Army", media "well, yes"). However, CINC, in the article quoted, does a good job of avoiding those conclusions being drawn.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Too many sailors"? Where do you get your information from?

8O

6. This is also doing the rounds on ARRSE at the moment.
    Not really an issue, RN personel doing mainly rear echelon jobs in Brigade and Commando Logs, free up men who can then be used in the Commando units Signals, MT Troop or wherever ensuring that the Fighting Units are fully manned.
    Just good usage of available manpower.
    Of course it would be nice if levels of Recruitment and Retention were better, payments can only be increased so much (Let's be realistic) but this is a good medium term solution.

7. I don't mind doing rear echelon jobs (finar finar) for the boys in green, sounds like a nice little jolly. Sun, sand and a big truck to drive around in. Plus they'll probably give me a gun to boot, Sign me up please drafty.!!!!
    :w00t:

8. As those young and awfully flexible ladies the Pussy Cat Dolls might say.
    'Be careful what you wish for cuz you just might get it, just might get it etc etc'

Oh they'd get it alright. :thumright:

9. Have we forgotten where the Field Gun Competition came from? Jack has been involved in many land campaigns.

10. Many RNR loggies have been deployed to Afghanistan over the past few years. It seems to be popular this time of year.

Either way, it has to be cheaper than Cyprus (where i've just been on hols).

11. That's got to be a typo? Unless their IEDs are so poor that they are scoring red on reds.

12. Royal will be keeping well out of the way then.

13. Im one of them. Roll on deployment.

14. Royal or RN?