Troop Aid

Discussion in 'Charity' started by sgtpepperband, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. Plagiarised from another service forum. Spread the word:

========

TROOP AID - WELFARE SUPPORT

Who are we?
    TROOP AID was set up in November 2006 as a voluntary service to provide essential personal items to our service personnel who have been injured in battle in the present Middle East conflict by Ray Warren, Derek Joss and Capt Al Sutton after their visit to Selly Oak Hospital’s Alexander Wing in Birmingham, based here with the Defence Medical Welfare Services. They are responsible for the welfare of all troops male or female who have been injured; some seriously during conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan and flown to the UK to expert medical attention.

What are we doing?
    When troops return from battle to the UK from the war zones they arrive in the kit they are injured in. That is combat kit, boots etc. They do not have any civilian clothing to wear and no money to buy essential personal items, or civilian clothing.

The aim of TROOP AID is to supply these basic essentials required when they return to the UK injured from serving their country.

Examples are: Kit bags, full shaving kit, pair of trainers, socks, underwear, tracksuits and a warm clothing.

We also supply videos, dvds, books, games and confectionery which includes chocolate, crisps, biscuits etc.

No furnished facilities have been made available for the rooms provided for family visitors wishing to stay overnight during their hospital visit to be near their loved ones. We have provided basic furniture for these rooms.

Where are we doing it?
    At the moment we deal directly with Selly Oak Alexander Wing at Selly Oak and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham We have also sent items to TELIC9 field hospital in Iraq, and to Frimley Park.

How are we doing it?
    We obtain all our money by fundraising and donations.

Contributions so far have been given by The Royal British Legion Club Knowle, Branch, and women’s Section. Solihull Royal British Legion Branch Club, MC Sports Acocks Green, Cadbury’s, BHS, Marks and Spencer and Blue Monkey. We have also been sent donations from members of the public who have heard about the problems.

We would like to thank everyone for their generosity and support so far in this venture. With continued support we will be able to give our Troops the basic essentials that they deserve.

To date we have spent £5364.85 on goods with a retail value of £26,824.25p.

Why are we doing it?
    We understand that everyone who joins the forces may one day go to war and fight for their country. But we believe that when injured troops return home they should be cared for much better than they are.

No military hospitals in the UK are deployed and operational.

At both the Birmingham hospitals, the 8000 troops so far injured in the Middle East conflict receive the very best of medical care . However NHS Hospitals are not Military Hospitals and soldiers are not civilians. The ladies from Defence Medical Welfare do a fantastic job, working very long hours and are in contact with us 24 Hours a day 7 Days a week..

If they require anything we do our best to purchase and supply these items within 48hrs.

We will continue to help the troops returning from conflict for as long as possible but we cannot continue to do this without donations and some more assistance.

How can I help?
    If you would like to make a donation, provide equipment or offer physical assistance please contact:

Ray Warren
    41 Hampton Road
    Knowle
    Solihull
    West Midlands
    B93 0NR

If you wish to make contact phone Ray Warren on: 01564 730 141 or Al Sutton on 0121 711 3028.

Cheques should be made out to:

“TROOP AIDâ€

All donations gratefully received and faithfully applied.

Goods supplied to date:
    T-Shirts/Polo shirts
    Hooded sweatshirts
    Track-suit bottoms
    Shorts
    Boxer shorts and socks
    Trainers
    Fleece jackets
    Water proof coats
    Rucksacks
    Kit bags
    Full shaving kits
    Hair clippers
    Nail clippers
    Plug adapters
    Bed frames
    Duvet covers and pillow cases
    Wardrobes
    Cabinets
    Chest of drawers
    Mobile fans
    Waste bins
    Electrical equipment: DVD players, MP3 players, etc.
    Confectionery: sweets, crisps, chocolate biscuits, drinks, etc.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Edit to add: I am unaware of a website at present, so you'll have to use the contact details of the organisers to help accordingly. However I have created a 'Facebook' group you can join. Please add and share with your online networks:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4907694406

3. What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think?

4. Hi

Really great idea, i myself am arranging a military show 'Support our Troops UK' it is designed to help raise awareness for what our troops do, and to raise money for the ABF, SSAFA and The Royal British Leigion Poppy Appeal.

I have only recently come across this forum, and would like to invite you to the show - you could have your own stand, and/or put a link on my website to yours (if you have one).

Do you know of any Navy recruiting teams that may be able to attend the show?

The website is www.supportourtroopsuk.co.uk

I am aware that there are some mistakes and some changes on the website that need to be made, i am in the process of doing this.

Please respond either via the website or private message then i may be able to email you directly