Tristan De Cunha

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rod-gearing, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And I thought it was from Bedknobs and Broomsticks, are there really talking cartoon characters living there then. :nike:
  2. ".....However, merchant ships in the area are unlikely to have the necessary drugs on board and a coastguard spokesman said there were no British military vessels nearby at present..."

Says it all really. Their our responsibility, lets get some bloody help to them.
  3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I do believe the Red Plum is heading south at the moment. She is possibly a couple of weeks away, but there you go. The Clyde is also 'regional', if you discount the transoceanic passage.

4. "It [the virus] made me very chesty!" Complained one Tristan De Cunha resident.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Stood off Tristan in HMS London in 1964. Object of visit was to jolly the people and show HMG cared, after HMG had shipped them back compulsorily following their evacuation a while previously when their volcano acted up.

Helo took in a small party but I didn't make the ballot - so near and yet so far! Had a chum stamp and post some cards for me but they never arrived - stamps stolen en route I suppose.
  6. Isn't Tristan where the survivers off the Bounty ended up or was that Pitcairn???
  7. The in-breeding is meant to be quite something.

They are our in-breds though.

Send them some brightly coloured beads and greetings from Victoria.

Couldn't a B52 / Hercules / Nimrod make an air drop of 'medicine' (in bubble wrap) or do the West only have the ability to kill at that range?
  8. Heard on the radio last night that a Herc and VC 10 Fueller were going to be sent from the Falklands to do a drop.
  9. Haven't the crabs just grounded all their refuelers or was that just the Nimrods after they had that mid air fuel leak???

10. They are a bit, but they're nice enough in a Bennyesque way. When the Island was evacuated back in the 60's they all got homesick and found Calshot a bit too exciting.

There are only 8 surnames on the island and two of them are Italian, Lavarello and Repetto, and that's because two shipwrecked Italian sailors washed up on the Island.
  11. Our kid was on the rescue mission in the early 60's when the volcano blew , think it was the Nubian, and they ran aground on the fresh lava that had poured into the sea.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thats the Navigators story and He is sticking to it :dwarf:
  13. Well aware of whats down there, Levers. Sorry my point was lost, why havent the RN stated that a Ships has been diverted? NOTTINGHAM surely? Not wanting to tell the Media darlings how to do their job, but surely a chance to do some good, and an ideal media opportunity, to show jo public, our other roles? Would be nice to have someone senior from the serving RN on TV for a change supporting the RN. It just seems to be senior Army Officers at the moment.. (dont get me wrong I fully support them).
  14. You should always read the last post, opps!!! Thanks Pitfirrane, just read your article. Theres no ship divered because the BBC are making things up again...the last point of my last post still stands though.
  15. Think you will find it was Leopard. My BR 1938 (1965 Edition), has a picture as an examle of Disaster Relief Ops.

Like the dit of the running aground though.

1961 - the year of the Volcano
    Earth tremors and rock falls began to disturb islanders from the 6th August, 1961, and by October a large fissure had opened up behind the lighthouse. The Administrator, Peter Wheeler evacuated the islanders to the Potato Patches, whilst HMS Leopard was dispatched from the Cape on Tuesday, 10th October, 1961. The Administrator then decided to evacuate the islanders to Nightingale Island as by now a large mound had formed in the danger area, and a smell of sulphur was pervasive.

The night of the 11th October was spent on Nightingale, in some discomfort: fortunately they were able to be evacuated from there by the MV Tjisadane and all 290 islanders were taken from there to the Cape. By the time HMS Leopard arrived at Tristan on October 13th, the mound had grown to 250 ft (80 m) high, emitting smoke and red-hot lava. Valuables from the island were salvaged by Leopard and Tristania: Leopard returned to South Africa on October 18th. All the domestic and farm animals had to be left behind.

Because of South Africa's strict apartheid laws, the Islanders decided to go onwards to England, and embarked aboard the Mail Ship Stirling Castle on October 20th. After a short time near Reigate in Surrey, they were housed at Calshot Camp, near Southampton. Unable to resist the British weather and diseases, several of the older islanders died: the volcano was still belching smoke and lava, and the outlook looked bleak for the islanders .......
  16. One woud have thought they could a sub there with the nessecary supplies down there quicker than anything .. dont they go Mach 5 underwater?? Surely they could get one from Guz there within a few days probably before the Red Plum steams over the horizon??
  17. I imagine, and this has been highlighted by Pitfirrane and others, that if we had a bigger fleet then we'd be better able to provide aid and assistance? Be better for them, and the rest of the Commonwealth/dependencies to show we still care and can help, rather than let them wait for the boat from South Africa some weeks distant.
    Bet that the Crabs won't be able to make it or, if they do, that they'll miss the island. =)

18. went there on the Puma to drop off some islanders.Could not get ashore due to the massive rollers sweeping in from the horn.
    big disappointment as one of the original sailors who founded the colony had my surname. No relative I suppose but I would have liked to have landed just to see.