Triple action can spanner

Chris P

War Hero
Found in the kitchen drawer, thought I had a Tiger triple action can spanner but can't find it..

IMG_0658.jpg
Before technology intervened with ring pull.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You used to get a can spanner in every crate but I can't remember which beer, might have been Yellow Peril or maybe CSB, used to have a garland of them in the greenies mess on the Rusty B.

slim

War Hero
You used to get a can spanner in every crate but I can't remember which beer, might have been Yellow Peril or maybe CSB, used to have a garland of them in the greenies mess on the Rusty B.
I think in the days before the ring pull top every crate of ale contained at least one can spanner. I reckon every matelot had one on his key ring.
Does anyone remember the crates of Guinness which came with a small syringe to put air back into the drink and make it look like the draft stuff?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Remember when the original ring-pulls could be broken into two parts and the 'bendy' bit could be used as a spring to fire the ring across the mess? Or at someone's head!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Remember when the original ring-pulls could be broken into two parts and the 'bendy' bit could be used as a spring to fire the ring across the mess? Or at someone's head!
Thugs used to sharpen the ring and use them as weapons at footy matches, firing them into the opposing supporters, plus many kids were getting injured firing them at their oppo's. That's why the design was changed.

Taztiff

War Hero
I think in the days before the ring pull top every crate of ale contained at least one can spanner. I reckon every matelot had one on his key ring.
Does anyone remember the crates of Guinness which came with a small syringe to put air back into the drink and make it look like the draft stuff?
They made a bar fitting with the syringe in it so you could pretend you were pulling a pint! :D

When did ringpull cans replace the old sort?

I joined my first ship in 1979 and I can't remember anything but ringpulls.
In 1959, an American man called Ermal Fraze devised the can-opening method that would come to dominate the canned beverage market: the pull-tab. ... The ring-pull design we have on our beverage cans today was introduced in 1989 for soft drinks, and 1990 for beer cans.

Waspie

War Hero
I remember stringing used ring-pulls together 'a la paper chains' for chrimbo decs in the fwd mess - classy!
Did that at Sola air base in Norway. Wasn't Chrimbo, it was just there was sod all else exiting to do!!
Oh, other than try and remove a canon from a F104 Widowmaker!!! Needed something bigger than a can opener tho!!! That ended in a 'you're a very naughty boy' speech!!!!!

^@Chris P - Concur. Came off the middle, opened a new slab & pulled a can therefrom but couldn't find the usual can spanner anywhere within the cardboard box*. Finally found one elsewhere [cue that healthy Schizzzz sound] & took a hearty gulp.

Usual firm grip on the can with my RH but during the second gulp my RH little finger felt something unfamiliar at the usually smooth base of that can - WTF izzat ??

That unforgettable moment was my intro to these newly-fangled ring pulls on beer cans, circa '69 [whilst 1/2 way through a trip 'up north' in SSN 03].

EDIT to add the obvious - *Never mattered before but on this occasion that Cardboard Slab was opened upsee-downee which prevented a visual revelation.

Last edited:

Latest Threads