Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple action can spanner

Chris P

War Hero
Found in the kitchen drawer, thought I had a Tiger triple action can spanner but can't find it..

IMG_0658.jpg
Before technology intervened with ring pull.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You used to get a can spanner in every crate but I can't remember which beer, might have been Yellow Peril or maybe CSB, used to have a garland of them in the greenies mess on the Rusty B.

slim

War Hero
You used to get a can spanner in every crate but I can't remember which beer, might have been Yellow Peril or maybe CSB, used to have a garland of them in the greenies mess on the Rusty B.
I think in the days before the ring pull top every crate of ale contained at least one can spanner. I reckon every matelot had one on his key ring.
Does anyone remember the crates of Guinness which came with a small syringe to put air back into the drink and make it look like the draft stuff?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Remember when the original ring-pulls could be broken into two parts and the 'bendy' bit could be used as a spring to fire the ring across the mess? Or at someone's head!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Remember when the original ring-pulls could be broken into two parts and the 'bendy' bit could be used as a spring to fire the ring across the mess? Or at someone's head!
Thugs used to sharpen the ring and use them as weapons at footy matches, firing them into the opposing supporters, plus many kids were getting injured firing them at their oppo's. That's why the design was changed.

Taztiff

War Hero
I think in the days before the ring pull top every crate of ale contained at least one can spanner. I reckon every matelot had one on his key ring.
Does anyone remember the crates of Guinness which came with a small syringe to put air back into the drink and make it look like the draft stuff?
They made a bar fitting with the syringe in it so you could pretend you were pulling a pint! :D

Ballistic

War Hero
When did ringpull cans replace the old sort?

I joined my first ship in 1979 and I can't remember anything but ringpulls.

Pussers Blanket

Midshipman
When did ringpull cans replace the old sort?

I joined my first ship in 1979 and I can't remember anything but ringpulls.
In 1959, an American man called Ermal Fraze devised the can-opening method that would come to dominate the canned beverage market: the pull-tab. ... The ring-pull design we have on our beverage cans today was introduced in 1989 for soft drinks, and 1990 for beer cans.

Waspie

War Hero
I remember stringing used ring-pulls together 'a la paper chains' for chrimbo decs in the fwd mess - classy!
Did that at Sola air base in Norway. Wasn't Chrimbo, it was just there was sod all else exiting to do!!
Oh, other than try and remove a canon from a F104 Widowmaker!!! Needed something bigger than a can opener tho!!! That ended in a 'you're a very naughty boy' speech!!!!!

^@Chris P - Concur. Came off the middle, opened a new slab & pulled a can therefrom but couldn't find the usual can spanner anywhere within the cardboard box*. Finally found one elsewhere [cue that healthy Schizzzz sound] & took a hearty gulp.

Usual firm grip on the can with my RH but during the second gulp my RH little finger felt something unfamiliar at the usually smooth base of that can - WTF izzat ??

That unforgettable moment was my intro to these newly-fangled ring pulls on beer cans, circa '69 [whilst 1/2 way through a trip 'up north' in SSN 03].

EDIT to add the obvious - *Never mattered before but on this occasion that Cardboard Slab was opened upsee-downee which prevented a visual revelation.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Still had can spanners in some crates in the early 70's, they were gradually replaced during that time. I recall the cans of goffa from the NAAFI had ring pulls but not all the beers had them. I've got Double Diamond crates with can spanners fixed in my head for some reason.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was on Antrim until 74 and the tinnies definitely had can spanners then, though it is entirely possible the changeover was in progress then.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Triple lock for students ahead of A level and GCSE results MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Triple bill of better compensation, new trains and faster services on Greater Anglia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Green collar jobs in offshore wind set to triple by 2030 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Triple tonne triumph MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Explosive start for triple decker roundabout MoD News 0
soleil ITN: "Triple-Amputee Soldier Sets Off To Cycle Britain" The Corps 1
Ageing_Gracefully triple Competition Competitions 2
soleil BBC News: "Award For Triple Amputee Former Marine From Plymouth" The Corps 4
MoD_RSS COP26 President Alok Sharma welcomes Nepal’s positive action on climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 president visits India to advance UK-India partnership on climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lastminute.com faces legal action unless it pays outstanding refunds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Together for our planet: op-ed on climate action in the Netherlands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action needed to maintain councils’ momentum in supporting communities through data-driven innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Race to Zero: Philippine business leaders commit to accelerating climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President highlights importance of action on adaptation and to avert climate loss and damage in visit to Ethiopia and Gabon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public asked to take action ahead of United Nations Climate Change Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Taking swift action on the economy, humanitarian funding and humanitarian access in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor: It’s time for action on mental health in prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspectorates - urgent action needed at Rainsbrook MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summit shows new surge in action and ambition on road to Glasgow Climate Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-agency days of action target Crawley and Reigate waste sites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A year of climate action: op-ed by Charles Hay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulatory action taken against former manager and trustee of Birmingham rehabilitation charity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC and ASA launch new action to disrupt promoters of tax avoidance schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No better time than now to step up climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Farmers and waste companies urged to check waste management processes or face enforcement action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA takes swift action in bipolar drug investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Keeping momentum on climate action and ambition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action to remove contaminated fire-fighting water MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Young people leading the charge on climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Be flood aware during Flood Action Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS EU citizens urged to take action during EU transition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency launches Flood Action Campaign 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 63 days to go: Readiness webinars prompt businesses to take action for end of transition period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action to help prevent vulnerable young people from becoming homeless MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities sets out government action to tackle Covid disparities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Instagram to tackle hidden advertising after CMA action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated G20 Action Plan to support the global economy through Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ongoing military action along the line of contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh region: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to protect small businesses with action on late payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiries Review Action Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Chile urge countries to take ambitious action on climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘Climate action cannot be another victim of coronavirus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New action plan to boost judicial diversity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency raids Kent waste site in joint day of action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action taken to improve resilience of railway following Stonehaven tragedy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New action to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Bolton MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leasehold homes: CMA launches enforcement action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £2 million fund for local action on air quality MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will lead global action to ensure world’s poorest are protected from ravages of coronavirus and famine MoD News 0