Trip to the Tank Museum Bovington

ex_wasp_L2

Lantern Swinger
I may be interested on the visit, but I will need fair warning as I will have to travel a fair distance (all of 5 miles :jocolor: )
If you need any info on the area plse let me know and I will do my best to find it out. Beware though as the busses from Wool (the nearest train station are few and far between, and the taxis are a rip off) there is also a lot of work going on at the museum at the present.

went there a couple of years ago whilst picking my young muppet up from hms nelson, really good day, make sure you go on the days they do displays, they have a sherman, saladin, centurian and some half tracks, they do a war senerio and invite members of the public to take part, and yes I dragged my young OM on ! well what are dads for ? and just across the road is monkey world of tv fame

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Went there about 10 years ago on a Make 'n' Mend whilst doing my SMAC 233 course at Portland. Turned up with some RNR colleagues and we were very impressed by the size and scale of the tanks on display, especially the German Tiger: "Cor, fook me! Look at the size of that one! Wow, that one's massive..." etc.

However after a few hours there it became more like: "Oh, look - another fuggin' tank..." 8O

:lol:

wet_blobby

War Hero
If your into tanks etc and based up london way you should try and go to the war and peace show at the Hop Farm in kent, there's litrally hundreds of amoured vehicles and thousands of re-enactment muppets wandering around for the weekend that it's on.....and they have a Glen Miller band playing at night if anyone fancies smouching GR.

Pity about the museum of army transport in Yorkshire shutting down. They say the thing that finally broke its back was the discovery of asbestos in the roof. Unbelievable just the mention of asbestos these days sends people into panic mode.

Read a while back they where looking for a place for the vehicles that there Scorpion would have been grand for a trip to the shops.

Whatever happened to the Beverley there???

Pity Bovington is so far away!

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
I was at the War & Peace show & at Bovington a few months ago. I had always thought that re-enactors were a rather sad set, wandering around pretending to be from World War Two etc. I was dragged along to take part as I knew a guy who owned a jeep. I quickly changed my mind about the whole thing when they let me loose in a tank :rambo: :rambo: :thumright:

Some pics:

Shermans

blowing up ze krauts

Tiger tank, fake one, they had a real one at Bovington

me in armoured car on the left :rambo:

the tank I got to play with, notice the spikes on the front to run over Nazis & Chavs :afro:

like being in a movie

my tank & infantry

The Discovery Channel was there too so I may be on T.V. :thumright:

~Vesper

well goldie.... my boy and i would love to go.... (dont think its my girls thing).... well that is if you can cope with a high mad 8 year old male...
best fr me.. would be in a school holiday,,, and prolly when they have fininshed the work waspy is talking about...
but its a deffinant yes from me...............(and the boy)...

Vesper said:
I was at the War & Peace show & at Bovington a few months ago. I had always thought that re-enactors were a rather sad set, wandering around pretending to be from World War Two etc. I was dragged along to take part as I knew a guy who owned a jeep. I quickly changed my mind about the whole thing when they let me loose in a tank :rambo: :rambo: :thumright:

~Vesper
next stop the Sealed Knot eh Vesps ???

Vesper said:

Some pics:

Shermans

blowing up ze krauts

Tiger tank, fake one, they had a real one at Bovington

me in armoured car on the left :rambo:

the tank I got to play with, notice the spikes on the front to run over Nazis & Chavs :afro:

like being in a movie

my tank & infantry

~Vesper

BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR CARBON IMPRINT

Hope you hugged a tree later :thumright:

Look totally all awesome can you divert to Oldham next time I will send you the GR later :rambo:

Tanks in Action

Every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday in August at 1.00pm

sadly all tank rides (they cost £150.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!) are sold out for 2007 - thank goodness for that eh Josie!

Anyone interested in visiting in August????? What about the weekend before Guzz? Maybe we could drag along some guys with 'experience' to provide the technical info for Daniel in a more realistic way than me and Josie can. :whew:

Any thoughts? Is it to late to organise for the weekend of the 18th/19th August???

GRx

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to add to all the impending excitement, and this will be the clincher for anyone wavering:

The Royal Navy School of Recruiting is but 600 yards from the Tank Museum just across the road, in fact.

So is Monkey World, but I'm not sure what to make of that coincidence.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
NS - If we fail to get selected for Monkey World then we can cross the road and sign on the dotted line.......
Why didn't I think of that?

Red_ said:
...my afco sold me down the river ...
If the afco were honest with me
Oh that's right, I was busy flogging people down yonder tributary...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
slim The Quarterdeck 15