Triage medical phone call fail

Fredy

My 15 year old son had his triage call (no adult present) where "she" probed my son on declared headaches, a shoulder incident and a MMR reaction. My son declared he has had 3 severe headaches in 15 years, the shoulder was just "jarred" in a goalkeeping incident and he could not remember what happened with the MMR as he was 6 months old! On this basis he has been declared medically unfit for the navy and I am flabbergasted! Surely the only people that pass this call have been locked in a room, wrapped in bubble wrap their whole lives? My son is the fittest person I know, attending a sports academy and playing semi pro football 6 times a week!
So my question is, does he need to look for an alternative career based on a 10 minute phone call with a complete stranger even though he would pass the fitness test and physical medical with flying colours? Is their an appeal process based on the triage appointment?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
My 15 year old son had his triage call (no adult present) where "she" probed my son on declared headaches, a shoulder incident and a MMR reaction. My son declared he has had 3 severe headaches in 15 years, the shoulder was just "jarred" in a goalkeeping incident and he could not remember what happened with the MMR as he was 6 months old! On this basis he has been declared medically unfit for the navy and I am flabbergasted! Surely the only people that pass this call have been locked in a room, wrapped in bubble wrap their whole lives? My son is the fittest person I know, attending a sports academy and playing semi pro football 6 times a week!
So my question is, does he need to look for an alternative career based on a 10 minute phone call with a complete stranger even though he would pass the fitness test and physical medical with flying colours? Is their an appeal process based on the triage appointment?
Was he actually knocked back or did they simply tell him that they needed to write to his GP before he could be passed fit?

Sometimes people have an allergy to egg whites (often used in immunisation jabs). Sometimes people call common or garden headaches "migraine" which is a different ball game. Repeat shoulder dislocations, if that's what was described, are a bar to entry without a stabilisation procedure.

Two sides to the story, but worth checking.

Very often when people hear the three words Temporarily Medically Unfit, they only register the last two. Sometimes, people don't actually want to join and declare ailments are more severe than actual.

If declared permanently medically unfit, they'll write to explain why - best bet is to write back and ask under what circumstances the medical standards can be met.

Good luck to him, don't give up at the first blip, there'll be more to come in training.

Fredy

She said based on his answers he is medically unfit (no mention of temporary) They are writing to his gp - he is gutted as desperate to join and she told him not to get his hopes up, he has no allergy to egg, the shoulder was jarred (hospital X-ray confirmed it) nothing more and he did go to the doctor once for a headache this year but nothing prescribed - would it pay for us to go and see the doctor before the forms are completed?

Waspie

War Hero
She said based on his answers he is medically unfit (no mention of temporary) They are writing to his gp - he is gutted as desperate to join and she told him not to get his hopes up, he has no allergy to egg, the shoulder was jarred (hospital X-ray confirmed it) nothing more and he did go to the doctor once for a headache this year but nothing prescribed - would it pay for us to go and see the doctor before the forms are completed?
Did you actually take the call?
If not then it is just possible your son missed an important word or it was misunderstood.
You have the option to question the decision or wait until written clarification is received.
Absolutely NOTHING we can do apart from either sympathise or ignore.
Cold, rude - yes perhaps. But also truthful. This is an unofficial navy site and as such carries no weight. Other than our own personal opinions. Which again, carry no weight.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
He hasn't failed if they are writing to his GP, he is Temporarily Medically Unfit, pending further info. Like I said, people tend to hear the medically unfit bit.

Even if they do eventually fail him, then from what you describe, an appeal is certainly a possibility.

About 75% of appeals succeed, but you can save the hassle and wasted time by telling him to give the practice manager the heads-up to answer the request fully in the first place.

They'll want to know all about the reaction to the jab, the x-ray and the history relating to headaches so severe that a trip to the GP was necessary. If migraine was diagnosed, then unfortunately he needs to be a couple of years clear of them and any subsequent treatment.

Trouble is, people often confuse headaches with migraine. If it wasn't migraine the records need to show it wasn't.