Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triage Call - What To Expect?

DrakeDra

Hi. I am at the Triage Call part of recruitment and that is happening next week. I am unsure what it is going to be and done some of my own research;

I know they ask for medical history, but a LOT of that is unknown to me and my folks. On top of that, I have had co-ordination problems diagnosed as a kid (that are virtually non-existent now) and anxiety issues that lead to RARE anxiety attacks. So I am really unsure what will happen and if they will declare me unfit or not...I hope I can pass it, of course.

fishhead

War Hero
Hi. I am at the Triage Call part of recruitment and that is happening next week. I am unsure what it is going to be and done some of my own research;

I know they ask for medical history, but a LOT of that is unknown to me and my folks. On top of that, I have had co-ordination problems diagnosed as a kid (that are virtually non-existent now) and anxiety issues that lead to RARE anxiety attacks. So I am really unsure what will happen and if they will declare me unfit or not...I hope I can pass it, of course.
Answer the questions honestly to the best of your knowledge. Just answer the questions asked and avoid giving additional information. Don't worry about being declared "unfit" until it happens. There are two classifications of "unfit" TMU which means further information is requested and PMU which is a complete fail. PMU can be appealed but it means you have to provide documented medical evidence to show whatever you've be failed on is incorrect.
Good luck with your application.

DrakeDra

Answer the questions honestly to the best of your knowledge. Just answer the questions asked and avoid giving additional information. Don't worry about being declared "unfit" until it happens. There are two classifications of "unfit" TMU which means further information is requested and PMU which is a complete fail. PMU can be appealed but it means you have to provide documented medical evidence to show whatever you've be failed on is incorrect.
Good luck with your application.
So do they tell you over the phone then?

Jonadame

Midshipman
One thing I didn’t prepare for was questions about any hospital visits in the past. Make a mental note or write down any trips to the hospital because I started to remember visits here and there after the call and ended up emailing after with more info (which was a nightmare but wanted it all on there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martnet

So do they tell you over the phone then?

No, they'll note down any info you give them, and then if there is anything in your medical history that might be a problem, they'll send a request to your GP for details from your medical notes. You'll get a copy of that request, then you wait. At some point, you'll get a notification that an appt has been made for a doctor to do a paper review...this is confusing, because it seems like they've made an appt for you, but the message will say you don't need to do anything or be at this appt, it's just a notification that it's happening. I was notified about 48 hrs after this review by a message from the AFCO what the result was. In total, from the telephone triage to the results being sent to me was about 4 weeks, but much of that was a long delay in my GP sending medical notes through...but be prepared to be patient.

One thing worth noting....the nurse who did my triage call spoke VERY quickly. That can have an unnerving effect, so be prepared to ask them to repeat or clarify questions and take your time with your answers if you need to. And as stated above, just answer the questions that are put to you without volunteering extra info that may not be necessary.

DrakeDra

No, they'll note down any info you give them, and then if there is anything in your medical history that might be a problem, they'll send a request to your GP for details from your medical notes. You'll get a copy of that request, then you wait. At some point, you'll get a notification that an appt has been made for a doctor to do a paper review...this is confusing, because it seems like they've made an appt for you, but the message will say you don't need to do anything or be at this appt, it's just a notification that it's happening. I was notified about 48 hrs after this review by a message from the AFCO what the result was. In total, from the telephone triage to the results being sent to me was about 4 weeks, but much of that was a long delay in my GP sending medical notes through...but be prepared to be patient.

One thing worth noting....the nurse who did my triage call spoke VERY quickly. That can have an unnerving effect, so be prepared to ask them to repeat or clarify questions and take your time with your answers if you need to. And as stated above, just answer the questions that are put to you without volunteering extra info that may not be necessary.
Man, that is gonna make me so anxious waiting lol. But thank you for sharing your expierence

I also broke some of my limbs MANY years ago, do i need to declare them? Even though they happened as a child?

Martnet

Man, that is gonna make me so anxious waiting lol. But thank you for sharing your expierence

I also broke some of my limbs MANY years ago, do i need to declare them? Even though they happened as a child?

The waiting isn't fun, but (especially under current circumstances) the medical part of the application can take a LONG time, so just be prepared to be patient.

You have to answer the questions as accurately as you can, so if they ask you "Have you ever broken a bone?" you have to mention any occurrence, even if it was a long time ago. The follow-up when they get further details from your GP will clarify when and how bad it was.

If they end up classifying you as PMU, you have the ability to appeal IF you can produce further evidence that the judgement was made on inaccurate or incomplete information. I found this thread very helpful in that event (I was prepared to be made PMU and have to appeal, which I'm in the middle of now): https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/medical-appeal-step-by-step.168196/

DrakeDra

The waiting isn't fun, but (especially under current circumstances) the medical part of the application can take a LONG time, so just be prepared to be patient.

You have to answer the questions as accurately as you can, so if they ask you "Have you ever broken a bone?" you have to mention any occurrence, even if it was a long time ago. The follow-up when they get further details from your GP will clarify when and how bad it was.

If they end up classifying you as PMU, you have the ability to appeal IF you can produce further evidence that the judgement was made on inaccurate or incomplete information. I found this thread very helpful in that event (I was prepared to be made PMU and have to appeal, which I'm in the middle of now): https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/medical-appeal-step-by-step.168196/
Thank you!

I had a look on the medical sheet provided - it is probably going to be a problem. So I am going to prepare to be TMU/PMU but gonna keep my head up for now! Cheers guys, help has been much appreciated!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
D medical triage call eczema Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Triage phone call while overseas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Triage medical phone call fail Joining the Royal Navy 4
Max9393 Nurse triage phone call Joining the Royal Navy 9
Matthew Medical triage phone call Health & Fitness 10
J Capita Triage Call and what best to do now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Frustrating medical triage Joining the Royal Navy 5
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Triage / Records Health & Fitness 8
D Medical Triage Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
F Medical triage Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F Triage Medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS PM call with Irish Taoiseach: 27 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Prime Minister Modi: 27 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia: 24 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary call with Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta: November 24 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Sultan of Oman: 24 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Aung San Suu Kyi: 20 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Central Europe conference for non-governmental influencers: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence on fine particulate matter air quality targets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Climate change in Cuba: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tackling modern slavery in DRC: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for views to support comprehensive faith engagement review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's call with Arancha González-Laya, 12 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary's call with Luigi Di Maio, 12 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President-elect Biden of the United States: 10 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Moon: 10 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Prime Minister of Canada: 9 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen: 7 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCDO US State Future Transportation Report: Call for Bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Artificial intelligence and intellectual property: call for views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Call of the Finance Ministers of the “Five Eyes” Nations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Nicos Anastasiades: 27 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Prime Minister of Australia: 27 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Yemen: International Programme Fund COVID-19 call for proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of PM and CDL call with business leaders 20 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Prime Minister of Greece: 20 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for proposals for project work in Ukraine under FCDO International Programme Open Futures and Climate Diplomacy Fund 2020-2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCDO US State Green Economy Report: call for bids MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Readout of PM phone call with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with Chancellor Merkel of Germany: 11 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Macron: 10 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President of the European Council Charles Michel: 7 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for evidence on 'Air Quality Partners' to support local authorities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President of the European Commission: 3 October 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for emerging women leaders from Pakistan to apply for UK’s Chevening scholarship scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President el-Sisi: 29 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with President Erdogan of Turkey: 28 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with PM Suga of Japan: 23 September 2020 MoD News 0