Tri-Service Training Establishment - Update

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by TattooDog, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is an update on the MOD site regarding the DTR Tri-Service establishment at St Athan, including an artist's impression of the "campus".

Apparently they'll be ready to start construction in 2 years.
  2. So after spending god knows how much money moving HMS Dryad over to Collingwood a couple of years ago and making Collingwood even bigger, does this now mean that Collingwood is going to be shut down and moved over to St Athans instead now?
  3. Wasting money?
    When Ford was to be turned into an Open Prison I recall being detailed off to show an advance party from the Home Office around. I seem to remember the Wardroom that had recently been refurbished was to be the Prison Officers Mess. Much of the contents needed to be ripped out as it didn't come up to the Prison Department's high standards. The WW1 huts that housed some 30 sailors : A maximum of 8 prisoners could be accommodated there.
    So far as the new wardroom fittings were concerned the Home Office was saved the expense of removing them as the residents of the gypsy encampment up the Yapton Road saved them the bother. They stole all the lead from the airfield and barrack sites too while they were at it.
  4. I believe that Warfare training will remain at HMS COLLINGWOOD, and that most of the engineering and comms training will move, together with a large chunk of HMS SULTAN.

ps - anyone know who the "minor royal" is? PM me as I'm currently running a book on their identity!
  5. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely Marine Engineering differs somewhat from Aircraft Engineering, or Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Admittedly with some commonalities.

But just how many lessons at this new and no doubt expensive site will be tri-service? Were the Armed Forces, not the those in top levels but the people who are currently going through the training pipeline, and those who are currently working and teaching at the individual engineering schools asked where and how this should be implemented? Was the area of St. Athan anyone's answer?

Or is it change, for the sake of change?
  6. The Defence Training Review (DTR) looked at lots of areas and options on how to "rationalise" Defence training.

Far be it from me to suggest that South Wales was chosen due to politics and unemployment, but it does have some nice hangars already in place.

I don't know how far into the weeds the study team went, such as which lessons and workshops could be combined, single-service elements, trade training etc
  7. Of course aspects of engineering are different, however the basics are not. Equipment used for testing in electronics is not. Hydraulic and pneumatic systems principles are the same whether in an aircraft, tank, gun or submarine.
    To me it makes sense to combine as much training as possible on one site. Cost benefits in capital equipment should make it worthwhile.
    I was trained as a radio/radar wafu working on aircraft. after leaving the service I worked for BAe as a field engineer on SINS Phalanx and Sea Archer fire control systems. Then after redundancy I became a field engineer for a company who manufactured cigarette making machinery. I needed very little cross training between each transition.
    At the end of the day engineering is engineering.
    The service have always been recognised by civilian organisations as provided excellent training. This is why many civilian companies employ ex service.
  8. South Wales chosen for political high unemployment reasons?
    RNAS Culdrose and RNAS Yeovilton have been where they currently remain for nothing but politically correct reasons--High unemployment--. Certainly not for their ideal weather /flying conditions.
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

RNAS Yeovilton currently where it is for politically coreect reasons? fcuk all to do with Westlands and being close to the coast then. Unemployment? what are you talking about. Weather/flying conditions, always snows in somerset then? And I take it the somerset levels, close proximity to the valleys of south wales and the sea are also a major handicap.
  10. Contributor MOde

You are biting at Norma next he/she will tell you how many 2 and half's sit around at Yeovilton taking a job he would like to have.

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

AHH, cheers for the heads up Nutty.
  12. Westland makes the helicopters there Flying them operationally is next door's job. Weather conditions for short range operational flying in both Heron and Seahawk is poor. On the North coast of Cornwall it's equally poor but it matters not to maritime aircraft of RAF St Mawgan as they operate hundreds of miles out to sea.