Tri-Service Drill

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Potential_Officer, Oct 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did a search but couldn't find an answer, so hopefully someone in the loop can answer this:

I have heard [sighs of oh dear] that in 2008 all three services are going to take up Royal Marines Drill as standard, primarily because the Army and Crabs are finding many people are suffering shin splints due to their stamping. Is this true, on both the form of drill and the date?

Thanks for any answers.
  2. Nothing heard by this call sign.

Good Buzz to spread round T'Fleet tho
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

If anyone asks you to get a long stand - don't!
  4. I don't believe it. All these years of Perce and the Crabs giving the order on the wrong foot and needing a pace warning to stop won't be given up lightly!
  5. I believe the Royals do a fair bit of stamping?
    I was on CT course with two Royals in 93 and for some bizarre reason the powers that be decided that they should join the Matelots on divisions every Monday morning. It was highly amusing for Jack however, for some strange reason it was canned! Wonder why?
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

On a v.sad occasion, the repatriation for the first RM killed in AFG I paraded with a joint unit - oh my god it was truly hideous - the RSM on the ramp was just stunned. Trouble was in a short amount of time we couldn't practise so it was just tick, tock, shuffle, tock - luckily it was pitch black.

Very very embarrasing
  7. I haven't heard that buzz yet.

I can't see it happening though - we would have heard the Guards Club choking on their G&Ts!!
  8. What's the difference between RM, Army and RAF drill then? Thought they were all the same.
  9. Royal Marines do not stamp, Halt is given on the Left foot, check pace, then one still, Perce and the Crabs as far as I'm aware do the same but with a bit of stamping.

Salutes vary, with the Matelots having the hand horizontally, the others vertically.

Orders are different too, Squad Ho! Will be replaced [allegedly] by the others' Squad 'Shun!

I wasn't told if the different speeds of march (i.e. that the Gurkhas pretty much run!) will be standardised as well.

Although the fact that no-one seems to have heard of it, leads me to believe my oppo may be talking about an idea Head Shed had had.

Any one know any DLs?

Edited: to/too
  10. sounds like a load of crap to me. even if the army and raf were going to vchange there practice. there still woudnt be a good reason for us to change ours.
  11. One minute you ask us about the drill the next minute your'e telling us how its done. Sort ya shit out!!!
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Rest assured fellas one thing is bound to stay the same if the drill gets changed and that will be Jacks effortless ability to fcuk it up. :thumright:
  13. For the Submarine Centenary in '01, there was a parade in Faslane of the ship's companies from the various multinational boats that had come together in the base. Taking the salute was HRH Princess Royal. The various nations were very proud and the marching and drill impeccable from all: canadians, russians (yes, you read that right), poles....and then came the matelots from the UK contingent, HMS Sovereign. Sov produced what can best be described as an uncoordinated can-can. Much paling of faces of the RN senior officers, FOSNNI going slightly beetroot. HRH leant over to him and whispered in his ear: "It's alright - I know they're submariners".

Joined up drill? Let's start within ourselves first, I say.
  14. Potential_Officer said "Orders are different too, Squad Ho! Will be replaced [allegedly] by the others' Squad 'Shun!"

All for that, we should go back to the way it was. I always thought HO! was shite.
  15. Where did HO! come from anyway? The BR (1864?) says "attention".

Agree with TattooDog, tho; I can't see the Guards liking the idea. I also (rightly) can't see matelots marching at Light Infantry pace.
  16. Matelots don't march, they bimble!
  17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

No-one ever said "attention" to us it was always "TUN" or "TUNNNNAAAAR" depending how extrovert the DL was feeling that day.
  18. Ho! has always sufficed, to my knowledge. Economy of effort and all that. As to stamping your feet - a bit childish, eh, what?
  19. Which "was" are you talking about? It's been "Ho!" since at least 1973, to my knowledge.
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Until the alleged source of the "rumour" is substantiated, it's probably safe to put it in the "bite" file.