Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree Hugging Protestors: How to deal with them

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
OSLO said:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy for protestors to protest. It's caled "living in a free democracy".

OSLO, (and Nutty) I’m all for free speech until it impinges on others civil rights or breaks the law. As far as I’m aware, obstructing the Queens Highway is a criminal offence, a fact that seems to escape the peace protestor’s notice. The amount of money wasted on policing the protests is disgusting.
 
x4nd said:
OSLO said:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy for protestors to protest. It's caled "living in a free democracy".

OSLO, (and Nutty) I’m all for free speech until it impinges on others civil rights or breaks the law. As far as I’m aware, obstructing the Queens Highway is a criminal offence, a fact that seems to escape the peace protestor’s notice. The amount of money wasted on policing the protests is disgusting.

So blocking the M1 by driving a convoy two abreast at 10 mph in the rush hour with all the Old Bill required to sort that out makes the Lorry Drivers of the Road Haulage Trade criminals then according to you.

Nutty
 

OSLO

War Hero
x4nd said:
OSLO said:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy for protestors to protest. It's caled "living in a free democracy".

OSLO, (and Nutty) I’m all for free speech until it impinges on others civil rights or breaks the law. As far as I’m aware, obstructing the Queens Highway is a criminal offence, a fact that seems to escape the peace protestor’s notice. The amount of money wasted on policing the protests is disgusting.

Then arrest them for obstruction if that is the case. Enforce the law where it needs to be enforced.

And in response to the earlier point, yes I lived in Hel for 2 and bit years. When there was a protest (they tended to be regular as clockwork), I'd get into the place a bit earlier or, where possible, make other arrangements.

I think alot of the ill-feeling towards protests on this board stems from Jack not having a union or the means to protest in this manner. But we must never forget that our role is to preserve our freedoms, and the freedom of speech and the freedom to demonstrate are, as has been stated here, core to Britishness, something which the pirates in the Commons have forgotten.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
[quote="OSLO]Enforce the law where it needs to be enforced.[/quote]

Hmm, or only when it impinges on your civil rights? The often quoted phrase by Voltaire ("I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.") certainly has an element of truth about it.

In fact he had many interesting things to say about politics, crime, society, etc... Voltaire quotes
 

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
OSLO said:
I think alot of the ill-feeling towards protests on this board stems from Jack not having a union or the means to protest in this manner.

I believe that a lot of the ill feeling comes from the protestors holding the local community to ransom. They prevent school children from getting to school, prevent doctors and nurses from getting to work. They play god by claiming they’ll let certain people through but not others: Who are they to decide?
 
x4nd said:
OSLO said:
I think alot of the ill-feeling towards protests on this board stems from Jack not having a union or the means to protest in this manner.

I believe that a lot of the ill feeling comes from the protestors holding the local community to ransom. They prevent school children from getting to school, prevent doctors and nurses from getting to work. They play god by claiming they’ll let certain people through but not others: Who are they to decide?

So now you know why people who live and or work in London dislike the rest of you cos you keep going there to hold your demonstrations, protests, marches. That is with out all the Royals, Pollies, High Security Prison Vans visiting VIP's holding up the traffic. Then state occasions, Royal weddings, State Visits, with Wembly soon to re-open a return of the crowds for that, Military Processions. The average traffic speed in London, even after congestion charges is 10 mph. In your terms thats Helensburgh to Faslane 35 minutes each way every day. A few protests you got it easy.

Traffic

So even now I live in Traffic free Murcia do I feel sorry for a few folk in the Helensburgh area, including my brother on the Rosneath Peninsular.
No Fecking Way.

Nutty

Nutty
 

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
So now you know why people who live and or work in London dislike the rest of you cos you keep going there to hold your demonstrations, protests, marches. That is with out all the Royals, Pollies, High Security Prison Vans visiting VIP's holding up the traffic. Then state occasions, Royal weddings, State Visits, with Wembly soon to re-open a return of the crowds for that, Military Processions. The average traffic speed in London, even after congestion charges is 10 mph. In your terms thats Helensburgh to Faslane 35 minutes each way every day. A few protests you got it easy.

Traffic

So even now I live in Traffic free Murcia do I feel sorry for a few folk in the Helensburgh area, including my brother on the Rosneath Peninsular.
No Fecking Way.

Nutty

Nutty

I appreciate that other communities suffer from slow moving traffic, but that is generally due to the sheer volume of traffic on the roads and not due to some people deciding to lie down in the road.

How would you feel if your brother required urgent medical treatment and the ambulance was stuck for over a hour because a bunch of French (not having a go at French people) decided it would be nice to go to Faslane and block the main road?
 
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
So now you know why people who live and or work in London dislike the rest of you cos you keep going there to hold [b]your demonstrations, protests, marches. That is with out all the Royals, Pollies, High Security Prison Vans visiting VIP's holding up the traffic. Then state occasions, Royal weddings, State Visits, with Wembly soon to re-open a return of the crowds for that, Military Processions.[/b] The average traffic speed in London, even after congestion charges is 10 mph. In your terms thats Helensburgh to Faslane 35 minutes each way every day. A few protests you got it easy.

Traffic

So even now I live in Traffic free Murcia do I feel sorry for a few folk in the Helensburgh area, including my brother on the Rosneath Peninsular.
No Fecking Way.

Nutty

Nutty

I appreciate that other communities suffer from slow moving traffic, but that is generally due to the sheer volume of traffic on the roads and not due to some people deciding to lie down in the road.

How would you feel if your brother required urgent medical treatment and the ambulance was stuck for over a hour because a bunch of French (not having a go at French people) decided it would be nice to go to Faslane and block the main road?


You appear to be stuck in this time warp that you and the Faslane area are the only people to have fairly frequent demonstrations. It is a way of life in London. If the staff of the Clyde Naval Base and the surrounding communities wish to have the advantage of the employment opportunities and the supporting trades and inferstructure then they must also accept that people who think that the UK does not need nuclear weapons, as often stated on this net I am one of them, will demonstrate. In London I am not just talking heavy traffic. It is traffic held up daily by my previous list. We took the financial advantages of working in London and lived with the disavantages. How many people in the area would be happy if the Base shut tommorrow?

NUtty
 

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
You appear to be stuck in this time warp that you and the Faslane area are the only people to have fairly frequent demonstrations. It is a way of life in London. If the staff of the Clyde Naval Base and the surrounding communities wish to have the advantage of the employment opportunities and the supporting trades and inferstructure then they must also accept that people who think that the UK does not need nuclear weapons, as often stated on this net I am one of them, will demonstrate. In London I am not just talking heavy traffic. It is traffic held up daily by my previous list. We took the financial advantages of working in London and lived with the disavantages. How many people in the area would be happy if the Base shut tommorrow?

NUtty

I’ve just checked and we’re definitely synchronised to UTC so no time warp here. I have lived in, and have family who live in London, so I know what it’s like. The demonstrations you talk of (in London) are generally organised and policed with sections of the road closed off and diversions put in place. I don’t doubt your right to demonstrate against nuclear weapons. The decision for this country to have nuclear weapons is not taken at Faslane, so why aren’t the demonstrations carried out where the decisions are made. There would be many who would be happy if the base shut tomorrow, but I guess many more would be unhappy.
 

OSLO

War Hero
x4nd said:
why aren’t the demonstrations carried out where the decisions are made.

Because Labour got spooked by a single guy with a bull horn and placards and banished the right of free demonstration around Parliament and Whitehall.
 

ukdaytona

War Hero
Everyone has the right to free speech and democratic protest BUT under the laws (changed to suit our political masters), the right to protest has been curtailed slightly so the group must be of a certain size or its breaking the law (I believe) - and yes I would support ANYONES right to protest (used to work for Countryside Alliance many years ago when it was BFSS and my first day there, they had the Anti Hunting brigade outside threatening people so much that we were not allowed to leave the building until the Police said it was safe to do so and then we had to sneak out the back door - whilst the protestors were freely allowed to shout death threats and other things at us....... where are my rights to freely walk without being hindered or threatened ????

If you want to protest then do it BUT do not impeed others from going about their lawful business.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A wealth of info on the matter.

Your Right to Peaceful Protest

If RR protested publicly as much much they do in here, we'd be a considerable voice! The Government would certainly have to listen then; by constantly bickering and sniping at each other (apart from in Diamond Lil's!) then we're doing their work for them?!

:roll:
 

TwistedFireStarter

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
x4nd said:
OSLO said:
Personally, I'm perfectly happy for protestors to protest. It's caled "living in a free democracy".

OSLO, (and Nutty) I’m all for free speech until it impinges on others civil rights or breaks the law. As far as I’m aware, obstructing the Queens Highway is a criminal offence, a fact that seems to escape the peace protestor’s notice. The amount of money wasted on policing the protests is disgusting.

So blocking the M1 by driving a convoy two abreast at 10 mph in the rush hour with all the Old Bill required to sort that out makes the Lorry Drivers of the Road Haulage Trade criminals then according to you.

Nutty

Yes. It's called "driving without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road" and is an offence under the Road Traffic Act.
 

UncleAlbert

War Hero
I dunno I suppose it depends on whether it’s a valid protest…..a few years ago about a mile from where I live the council decided to convert a large manor house they owned to a home committed to paedophile rehabilitation…everyone was up in arms and was making loud noises…..
Then an old boy set up a camp on the entrance and moved in ….with a ramshackle hut to live in and lots of placards and honk your horn posters…we used to take him food and sometimes sit with him…..most workmen wouldn’t enter the site.
It took him 2 years but eventually the council backed down……
Treehugger? Yes I suppose so but he believed in what he was doing and luckily he lived in a country where his opinion was respected.
 

yorkie-s

Badgeman
I GOT MARRIED IN THE SENIOR RATES MESS IN FASLANE ON EASTER SATURDAY AND THE POLICE PRESENCE WAS VERY BIG.IT WAS THE ASSOSIATION OF VERY OLD LESBIANS (HONEST)(WELL SOMETHING LIKE THAT ANY WAY)WHO WERE DUTY PROTESTERS THAT WEEKEND BUT IT STILL TOOK AT LEAST 5 VANS FULL OF PLOD FROM ALL OVER STRATHCLYDE TO MAKE SURE THEY DIDNT CAUSE ANY SNAGS.UNFORTUNATELY THEY DIDNT CAUSE ANY PROBS SO WE DIDNT GET LOCKED IN THE BAR ALL NIGHT.
 

OSLO

War Hero
What alot of the protests that cause much embuggerance do is make the public anti- whatever it is they're protesting about. Kinda defeats the object.
 
Nutty said:
You appear to be stuck in this time warp that you and the Faslane area are the only people to have fairly frequent demonstrations. It is a way of life in London. If the staff of the Clyde Naval Base and the surrounding communities wish to have the advantage of the employment opportunities and the supporting trades and inferstructure then they must also accept that people who think that the UK does not need nuclear weapons, as often stated on this net I am one of them, will demonstrate. In London I am not just talking heavy traffic. It is traffic held up daily by my previous list. We took the financial advantages of working in London and lived with the disavantages. How many people in the area would be happy if the Base shut tommorrow?

NUtty

I think you are missing one particular point we arein the middle of Faslane 365, 365 days of protest. They have themed weekswith various groups coming for a week of trying to make both the base workers and any one else who livesor works in theare suffer as much as possible. This is not the occasional parade butvery regular disruption of daily life. This is not the old Faslane peace camp but a year of heightened activity.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey More tree-hugging vegan lesbians arrested. Current Affairs 22
MoD_RSS £3.9 million to drive innovative tree planting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 24 November 2020 - Urban Tree Challenge Fund successes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 134,000 trees to be planted through Urban Tree Challenge Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 10 July 2020 - Helping tree nurseries recover from the impact of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 19 June 2020 - England Tree Strategy consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation launched on the England Tree Strategy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public urged to report sightings of tree pest Oak Processionary Moth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Specialists complete hi-tech testing on Chowns Mill oak tree MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action against oak tree pest underway by Forestry Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10m to boost tree planting in second auction of Woodland Carbon Guarantee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 30 March 2020 - Round two of the Urban Tree Challenge Fund opens today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second round of Urban Tree Challenge Fund opens today MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recycle or replant your tree for a greener Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plastic found on Suffolk beach used to decorate Christmas tree MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Train collision with tree, near Spittal, south-west Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches new scheme to boost tree-planting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plant a tree seed and decorate a plant pot in Kendal with local artist MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tree-planting event celebrates reedbed scheme at Devon beauty spot MoD News 0
M Family Tree Research Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS eAlert: 1 August 2019 - Oak processionary moth update and Sheffield tree felling investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS eAlert: 17 July 2019 - Urban Tree Challenge Fund application deadline MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tighter restrictions on oak tree imports to come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Horticulture industry urged to be vigilant for signs of tree pest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Tree Champion reappointed to continue tree planting push MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Disease-tolerant trees to be planted in UK’s 'ash tree archive' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Partnership tree planting in Nottinghamshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Movement restrictions introduced to protect UK against tree pest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Forestry Commission act on tree pest detected in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: First government-funded tree of Northern Forest takes root MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Balance between safety and conservation at heart of tree review, says Rail Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Tree-mendous photographs help save our oaks MoD News 0
trelawney126 HMS Coventry Memorial Tree and Plaque Current Affairs 2
R Drunken Moose in Tree The Gash Barge 1
soleil Pompey News: "Recollections Of Club’s Sticky Carpet And Its Plastic Tree" Bases / Shore Est 1
The_Caretaker A Christmas Tree and a Priest Miscellaneous 0
A Tree Humour Land Ops 0
trelawney126 How Much did you pay for your Xmas Tree £900? Current Affairs 6
sgtpepperband How tree reproduce... Diamond Lil's 2
Sapphire The Onion and the Christmas Tree Diamond Lil's 4
D The Tree in Joanna's Diamond Lil's 60
Similar threads









































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top