"Treats for Troops"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MG Maniac, Nov 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My department at work (local hospital) is collecting boxes as "Treats for Troops" for the guys and girls in Afganistan for Chrimbo. Couple of people who, knowing I am ex-RN have asked me what sort of thing they should put in the box. Having never been to Afganistan I don't know what sort of thing would be useful ... I suspect things have changed from my times in the Falklands ('82).

So apart from the anticipated suggestions of "nude photos" etc from some RR members - :-D has anyone got any sensible suggestions????

Cheers

MG

2. Soft bog roll?

3. The treats for troops site asks for the following things

What we need

Tea bags Coffee Sachets hot chocolate sachets
    horlicks, small evaporated milk, salt,pepper sachets,
    tomato sauce, brown sauce, ,
    Cup-of soups, snack bars, crackers, crisps, biscuits
    Pot Nooodles (or flat pack noodles will do), raisins (small boxes), peanuts.

[FONT=book antiqua,palatino]Boiled sweets, soft chewy sweets, chewing gum, toffees,
    Toothbrush, toothpaste, razors, deodorant, combs, soap, lip balm, moisturiser, talc, wet wipes, shower gel, shampoo, tissues, cotton buds, sun cream, after sun, cotton buds, socks.

pens, pencils, magazines, quiz books, playing cards, paperbacks, dominoes, travel games, CDs DVDs, fly papers.

NO CAKE with marzipan as it smells like semtex, no areosols, no alcohol, no pump action items, no magnetic items.

[/FONT][FONT=book antiqua,palatino]We also need small toy cars, colouring books for the children who are caught up in the conflict and end up in the British Hospital at Camp Bastion. [/FONT]

Hope this helps

SM

4. Noted - cheers all! Will pass this all on

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They'll appreciate that. Anything is better than those bloody concerts they put on that you have to attend, on pain of death. I saw one and have suffered from PTSD ever since.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And as for noodles, the flat pack ones are best as they can be squared away in kit easier than pot noodles.

7. Do they still have the no aerosols rule?? Just so you dont get a ton of them, send them, and then get them all sent back because the Posties dont like them.

8. GQ maybe for the weirdroom members!

9. Good for you MG Maniac I am sure your boxes will be well received.

10. A few years ago a handful of us in the pub sent our bootneck oppo; A copy of Gay News (OK, not very original), some kid's shoes, fridge magnets, some colouring books and a rather snazzy brown paisley nylon tie I picked up in the cancer shop for 50p, amongst other useful items. Fortunately he saw the funny side.

Edit: Might have been Iraq, he just won't sit still!

11. Fixed that one FOC, Jimbo.:evil2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Are they not provided as part of the welfare package?

13. I'd exercise caution with toys. When I was last out, we did not encourage them. Afghan children are not western children. They don't have toys, the Kandahar branch of Toys R Us not being the most popular outlet. We bring injured children into the hospital and give them something which 1/ they are not used to and 2/ they learn to love. When they leave the hospital, the toys are evidence they have been in contact with ISAF forces and can lead to isolation of the entire family by the locals. Also, the toys will not be replaced by their parents.

It is certainly well meaning, and the opinion may have changed, but I would be reluctant to send toys out.

14. What about a single plane ticket back home were they belong and not in that shithole for no real purpose.

15. That's why we do hearing tests every year!

16. Nothing. Believe it or not it can be a morale damager as the postal system gets clogged and the stuff you really want (ie proper xmas pressies from family) doesn't make it out in time.

I've seen grown men in a FOB cry when all he got for Xmas was 18 nuts magazines some chad shower gel and melted bourneville instead of the stuff his wife and kids sent him.

17. What did you say?

18. I'll set them up, you knock them down!