Treading the Boards...

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by pinkprincess, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I looked into the Pompey Players but the audition requirements were a song and a dance with: "Bring the sheet music that would best suit your voice".

Firstly, I would expect to have to read a part to demonstrate something resembling acting ability.

Secondly, I don't really see 'Sex on Fire' being the right kind of tune to be belting out with some old duffer tinkling away on the ivories :lol:

No offence intended to the old duffers here but I somehow see the Players as a little Margot Ledbetter... that is purely my imagination I know, I am sure that they are a fine company but I just want to have fun doing this.

Chatting to a Lt Cdr about it today and he invited me along to a rehearsal at Sultan.

What fun!

I will probably paint sets for this production as my skills as an artist will be needed and the show is already cast, however, I stood in for a missing player and was dancing around the stage for much of the evening!

Now all I need is to find myself a band (a few ads in music shops and the like) and I'll be an even happier bunny :cheers:

Seriously, a big thank you to those helpful suggestions on my blog :)

Oh and my apologies, I went oop north this w/e... I hit the M42 and the sky turned grey and as I passed Stafford, the rain started. I thought, "Welcome home girl" but I appear to have brought the rain back dahn sahth. Sorry :oops:
  2. Thats good news. Keep at it and congratulations! :wink:
  3. Thanks Trelawney. I returned and found myself cast 8O
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Was it an arm or a leg?
  5. I got cast, not a cast :lol:
  6. Ashore? Aside? Away?.................surely not rated!! :oops:
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I just needed broad shoulders for my audition, not that I knew I was auditioning. An ability not to be able to act stood me in good stead also. Best of luck.
  8. Are you really Russell Crowe? 8O
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Sadly no, I use telephones for calling pizzas and hookers.
  10. I know I'm probably categorising myself as one of your 'old duffers' here but it does say on the Portsmouth Players website that their aim is " bring musical entertainment not only to the people of Portsmouth but Hampshire and the adjoining counties.". In light of this, auditioning your ability to sing and dance seems fairly reasonable to me. And why would you choose 'Sex on Fire'? 8O What's wrong with something from 'Mamma Mia'? :wink:

And what's the problem with Margot Ledbetter? (Although Barbara Good was even 'Morebetter'.)