Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling while waiting on RN start date - AET

FistFullOfNails

Lantern Swinger
Travelling to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) this coming Monday.

I was thinking of going to Indonesia for a considerable amount of time. (Basically I'm waiting on 1stly my security check then a start date so I basically intend to be there until my dad tells me I've got an acceptance letter)

I'm just wondering whether this'll affect me at all. See the thing is I'm going travelling cos I'm waiting on the navy but don't want to either contract malaria or have them ask if I've been to any malaria prone places recently which will affect the recruitment process.

Thanks

Travelling to Malaysia is not a problem. Looking at our list of entry dates I would guess you would be going in around July/September as things stand.

You will need to be back here at some stage before entry to complete your joining brief. Talk to your careers advisor once you've made decisions on when you want to travel.

Supermario

soleil

War Hero
Have you visited your GP to ask whether you need to have any vaccinations beforehand or take any kind of meds (e.g. anti-malarial) with you?

FistFullOfNails

Lantern Swinger
Yes I've had so many vaccinations in the past few days it's untrue.

Rabies, typhoid, Malaria, hep a and b, yellow fever.

According to my GP Kuala Lumpur and Bali (capital of indonesia) have no risk of disease. Although there was a rabies outbreak last year but I've had the innoculation and as long as I stay the **** away from animals I should be alright.

Just for my reassurance if I were to contract malaria (unlikely but I'd like to take everything into account) would I be temporarily banned from entering?

If that's the case I'm quite happy to stay in Kuala lumpur or Bali where theres little to no risk of disease.

Thanks again your answers are greatly appreciated

A

angrydoc

If you were unlucky enough to get malaria then yes, your start date would shift right. Take the tablets, keep sleeves rolled down and use DEET. Make sure there's a mossy net up at night. Avoid swampy areas. Be aware that, depending on which anti-malarials you have been given, you may need to start them well before you travel and continue them for a month after you return.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
FistFullOfNails said:
Yes I've had so many vaccinations in the past few days it's untrue.

Rabies, typhoid, Malaria, hep a and b, yellow fever.

According to my GP Kuala Lumpur and Bali (capital of indonesia) have no risk of disease. Although there was a rabies outbreak last year but I've had the innoculation and as long as I stay the * away from animals I should be alright.

Just for my reassurance if I were to contract malaria (unlikely but I'd like to take everything into account) would I be temporarily banned from entering?

If that's the case I'm quite happy to stay in Kuala lumpur or Bali where theres little to no risk of disease.

Thanks again your answers are greatly appreciated

Did someone pinch Jakarta?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Chilean Chevening scholars meet Ambassador before travelling to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice for England rugby fans travelling to Rome MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for Manchester United fans travelling to Serbia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Japanese comedian’s top tips for fans travelling to the Rugby World Cup MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice for Liverpool & Chelsea fans travelling to Istanbul MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PHE issues advice to people travelling to Egypt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 06/2019: Train travelling with doors open on the Jubilee line MoD News 0
Subadubdub Travelling from Glasgow to Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Travelling opportunitys within certain branches? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R travelling expenses - RNR enquiry Finance & Pensions 5
J Travelling abroad on holiday Current Affairs 10
T Travelling to and from training Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
alfred_the_great Travelling to Training Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
stan_the_man Falklands 82 travelling South Diamond Lil's 3
D Travelling? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
cadetsmum Travelling to HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
thereverend Travelling Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Travelling Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Travelling to FATS from North of Scotland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
C Travelling As An AET The Fleet Air Arm 15
P Can we be paid for travelling time? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
pompeyexpat Travelling to Pompey Bases / Shore Est 13
Ticklertin Travelling in rig. The Fleet 88
higthepig Travelling Tips Diamond Lil's 18
P Holiday while in the military Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Adapting MINUSMA while working toward lasting peace in Mali MoD News 0
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South East car mechanic banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clothes designed to grow as children age could mean savings for parents while cutting waste MoD News 0
E Joining RN while diagnosed with Asperger's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Financial Services bosses banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
C Applying while at university Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Triage phone call while overseas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Royal Navy training while in URNU Joining the Royal Navy 9
M Self-harm and suicide attempts while serving Submariners 7
A Payment of rent/Phone bill etc while training Joining the Royal Navy 11
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary wishes troops Merry Christmas while in Poland on NATO visit MoD News 0
P 'Top Gun' Royal Navy pilot who took on Taliban while fyling upside down still waiting to bring Ameri The Fleet Air Arm 24
B Pay while at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 5
N Joining while married to a Russian Joining the Royal Navy 19
R Driving ban while signing up Joining the Royal Navy 24
I Driving conviction while waiting to join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L What to do with car insurance while deployed Motoring 5
T Running motivation while training. Look out for "Park Run". Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12