Travelling while waiting on RN start date - AET

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by FistFullOfNails, Apr 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Travelling to Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) this coming Monday.

I was thinking of going to Indonesia for a considerable amount of time. (Basically I'm waiting on 1stly my security check then a start date so I basically intend to be there until my dad tells me I've got an acceptance letter)

I'm just wondering whether this'll affect me at all. See the thing is I'm going travelling cos I'm waiting on the navy but don't want to either contract malaria or have them ask if I've been to any malaria prone places recently which will affect the recruitment process.

2. Travelling to Malaysia is not a problem. Looking at our list of entry dates I would guess you would be going in around July/September as things stand.

You will need to be back here at some stage before entry to complete your joining brief. Talk to your careers advisor once you've made decisions on when you want to travel.

3. Have you visited your GP to ask whether you need to have any vaccinations beforehand or take any kind of meds (e.g. anti-malarial) with you?
  4. Yes I've had so many vaccinations in the past few days it's untrue.

Rabies, typhoid, Malaria, hep a and b, yellow fever.

According to my GP Kuala Lumpur and Bali (capital of indonesia) have no risk of disease. Although there was a rabies outbreak last year but I've had the innoculation and as long as I stay the **** away from animals I should be alright.

Just for my reassurance if I were to contract malaria (unlikely but I'd like to take everything into account) would I be temporarily banned from entering?

If that's the case I'm quite happy to stay in Kuala lumpur or Bali where theres little to no risk of disease.

Thanks again your answers are greatly appreciated
  5. Dont worry about Rabies mate, that will give you enough aggression for your PT sessions lol
  6. If you were unlucky enough to get malaria then yes, your start date would shift right. Take the tablets, keep sleeves rolled down and use DEET. Make sure there's a mossy net up at night. Avoid swampy areas. Be aware that, depending on which anti-malarials you have been given, you may need to start them well before you travel and continue them for a month after you return.
  7. I'd worry more about Knob rot if I was you! Don't want to start Raliegh on penicilin!!!!!!!
  8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Did someone pinch Jakarta?