Travelling to Training

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by alfred_the_great, Sep 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any one else been banned from attending any training by private vehicle (without full business insurance, i.e. not your usual "commuting" caveat)?
  2. You can get business use on your insurance usually for free, if not think about changing your insurance.
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Whats the actual situation? Most peoples insurance covers commuting to work. Is this either

a) A new and very overzealous PSI misreading the rules?

b) A concerted effort to cut down on T&S by making everyone commute to the unit and then use unit transport to travel? Watch attendance and retention collapse if thats the case...
  4. Some of the cheaper insurances only cover from home to main place of work, if you inform them you should be alright, if you need paper work it will cost.
  5. We've got a quote, an extra £150 for full business cover, commute only to 'main place of work', not RNR (especially as it's only 'casual labour'). I think it's a an overzealous PSI, but stand by for a collapse in attendance from this location; it will take an extra 2 hours before Drill Night on public transport, and then a taxi to get home that costs more than the pay earned in an evening......
  6. AtG
    Ask the PSi for the reference in Black and White, I'm pretty sure it will state that for DUTY trips in your own car, you should have "Business Class Insurance". Normally not a problem to get, and it has never, ever cost me. Travel to and from the unit is not DUTY travel as you are not getting paid for your time, and I think the insurance companies would have a hard job in court justifying that you aren't covered. But again the safe option is to switch to an insurance company that will cover you Free of Charge.
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Directline cover me for no extra charge for business commuting.
  8. Is this something which is covered by JSP 752 Chapter 4 Section 6 04.0617?