Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Travelling in rig.

BR81 allows officers and ratings to wear caps/berets with 3s and 4s as appropriate. Default is caps with 3s and berets with 4s, but it really depends on what local orders are.

after getting permission from the boss, recently wore nos 1's ashore on a journey to a family wedding.....got the question are you in the navy??? 8O

Greenie wrote:
dunkers wrote:
WSM, is that a submariner?, do submarines have ironing facilities

If the guy had been a Submariner he'd have been noticed more for the smell ---

Yes we did have irons -----however the laundry did a fair job of No 8's so no pressing needed usually.

Until I met Nutty I though this thing about submariners not washing was a myth. Now I realise it isn't... Oops.. I should rephrase that!!! Until I met him I thought it was a myth but he explained to me that there really were no proper washing facilities on board. Yuk!

What is this codswallop about Submariners not having washing facilities????? We had a laundry which washed our gear everyday, and we could iron it ourselves in the mess, and a byproduct of Nuclear Power was an abundance of fresh water, so we could take a shower everyday, ( if we wanted) We as Catering branch personell showered daily, (mainly together) lol

jesse650 said:
after getting permission from the boss, recently wore nos 1's ashore on a journey to a family wedding.....got the question are you in the navy??? 8O
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even for us Ex's, the sea lord writes to us saying we should wear Nos 1s on any occasiaon possible to promote the service, he says once you have served you are both entitled and encouraged to wear rig for ceremonial, wedding funerals etc.
If you are gonna wear ashore though, do it right and be smart.

Bongobilly said:
Greenie wrote:
dunkers wrote:
WSM, is that a submariner?, do submarines have ironing facilities

If the guy had been a Submariner he'd have been noticed more for the smell ---

Yes we did have irons -----however the laundry did a fair job of No 8's so no pressing needed usually.

Until I met Nutty I though this thing about submariners not washing was a myth. Now I realise it isn't... Oops.. I should rephrase that!!! Until I met him I thought it was a myth but he explained to me that there really were no proper washing facilities on board. Yuk!

What is this codswallop about Submariners not having washing facilities????? We had a laundry which washed our gear everyday, and we could iron it ourselves in the mess, and a byproduct of Nuclear Power was an abundance of fresh water, so we could take a shower everyday, ( if we wanted) We as Catering branch personell showered daily, (mainly together) lol

Not all of us served on Nooky Poos with unlimited water, power, fridges, showers, washing machines, irons etc. My last boat had no space for the iron let alone a board. A trip up North was about 13 weeks with no washing except hands(the ones on the end of your arms).

Nutty

Got to agree with Bongobilly here, I know that SM'ers used to be a smelly bunch, with no washing facilities but now that you can have a shower a day and get your laundry done free of charge there is no excuse to look like a scranbag at sea, let alone when living ashore. Where did you get on the train? Near Fassers or devonport?

I prefer to travel to and from my RNR unit in rig (as we don't have enough lockers in the Unit for me to store rig). I have been boll***ed for it by a CPO before but checked our standing orders orders that say I am within my rights to continue.

I do think travelling in rig helps the profile of the RN & RNR. It probably acts as a reassurance to older civvies travelling on the train etc.

I am proud of my uniform and would not consider travelling unless well turned out. I understand that some people may think we are sea cadets (even at my age!) and I have even been mistaken for a Scout in the past but I guess that is because people do not see matelots in rig much these days.

Lingyai said:
Even for us Ex's, the sea lord writes to us saying we should wear Nos 1s on any occasiaon possible to promote the service, he says once you have served you are both entitled and encouraged to wear rig for ceremonial, wedding funerals etc.

The chances of you fitting into your nos ones are pretty slim 8)

Fat c000000000000000000000000nt!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Novocastrian said:
Lingyai said:

The chances of you fitting into your nos ones are pretty slim 8)

Fat c000000000000000000000000nt!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Pass me my shootin' iron. Check out my gallery bum boy, fits real good and got ladies underwear underneath eerrrrgghhhhh.

I walked through central London in 1s today from Pall Mall to Buck House. The admiral's driver had offered to drive me round but the car was requiring the attention of the RAC, so I walked. Fortunately, it had stopped raining.

Got some very odd looks.

drwibble said:
I walked through central London in 1s today from Pall Mall to Buck House. The admiral's driver had offered to drive me round but the car was requiring the attention of the RAC, so I walked. Fortunately, it had stopped raining.

Got some very odd looks.

Perhaps they thought you were another of Ken's Parking Fascisti ?

:lol:

whitemouse said:
drwibble said:

Got some very odd looks.

Perhaps they thought you were another of Ken's Parking Fascisti ?

:lol:

Probably.

Dabs said:
Staff answer. No Rating is allowed to travel anywhere outside the main gate of an establishment in 8's unless he is conducting a duty, eg:

Any ratings that are required to work shore side in 8's are to be transported from the parent establishment to the work site in a pussers bus. Otherwise, they are out of the rig of the day. Simple. :lol:

Staff Answer. You're completely wrong Dabs, me old mucker! (Well, out of date, rather than wrong..!) The old 2SL (B-N) changed the rules about a year ago. It was on Daily Orders everywhere and in Navy News, so it must be true!

Latest Threads