Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Travelling in rig.

Hmm... the Flight Commander gets twitchy because someone has found a miniscule piece of seaman's twine behind the breakwater... then the farkin' Petrol Pigeon goes and lands in a desert! Explain!!

It is explainable really.

There's stalls selling everything from hardware to fluffy toys all of which could do some damage if dragged into the wrong place and there telling four ratings that its negative caps in case of fod!

What I don't get is why they're worried about caps causing FOD when there's sh1tloads of rubbish from stalls (food packaging etc) lying around. :?

I am disgusted by the constant sniping that is aimed at currently serving servicemen in these forums.

Our people (RN/RM/RNR) are a fantastic lot. They deliver whenever and whatever they are asked to. The levels of responsibility we give them have increased in the 21 yrs I have been in the service.

To say that standards have dropped is trite, blinkered and ill informed. Standards are probably the same as they ever were. (There were manky old twats in the Andrew years ago as there are today). What has changed is the environment from where we take recruits and the environment that we ask them to perform in. But standards? No.

So the bottom line - stop having ago about how things were better in your day. We're doing fine right NOW!

The only difference being, that in those days you wouldnt get off the ship looking like a bag of s**t, tho you may return looking like one.

Bottom line is it is difficult to look smart in working dress anyway. Why do matelots need to be outside in rig anyway, quick fit fitters don't usualy go ashore in their oavies do they?

They don't really and that's the point. Perish the thought that any of them would go ashore in oavies!

That said I have noted many a matlot heading into work in cars, on the ferry, etc in No 4's (prev No 8's). Many tend to look reasonably smart but there are always notable exceptions and before anyone asks - yes I do point out the error of their ways.

SF

I used to commute to Yarrow Shipbuilders in No. 8s, but I never stepped out of my car and had a civvy coat over the top.

This was stopped when more of the crew joined, and we were made to travel in civvies. I think this was because those in lodgings were travelling in on the bus wearing 8s.

It wasn't all bad though, as Yarrows provided us with a changing portacabin.

Luxury!

SILVER_FOX said:
That said I have noted many a matlot heading into work in cars, on the ferry, etc in No 4's (prev No 8's). Many tend to look reasonably smart but there are always notable exceptions and before anyone asks - yes I do point out the error of their ways.

SF

But the rules on travelling in No 4s changed about a year ago and it's allowed now, subject to the normal provisos about headgear, non-mixed rig etc. IMHO, quite right too - it's the daily working uniform for 99% of ratings, so why shouldn't they? So have you been picking up lads incorrectly, Foxy?

Besides, contrary to the grumpy old matelot sniping from the old folks homes on here, I think almost all the ones I see are smart and presentable - much more so than the scranbags in the 60s that you see on old history programmes.

Geoffrey - I only annoy those who dress shabbily, look as if their hands are sewn into their pockets, mobiles & IPods glued to their ears or appear to have an aversion to the wearing of headgear. Also - those who very poorly disguise the wearing of uniform with a jacket that is obviously not designed for the task.

Happy to see someone in no 8's / 4's if they look the part. Doesn't take too much effort to iron a set.

SF

geoffrey said:
Besides, contrary to the grumpy old matelot sniping from the old folks homes on here, I think almost all the ones I see are smart and presentable - much more so than the scranbags in the 60s that you see on old history programmes.

I'm sure the old scranbags were just not trained properly when they joined as ADULTS Geoffrey...! :lol:

Pre 1990 (?) we were in receipt (as they said) of KUA.

No matelot ever spent money on kit before he absolutely had to.

Apart from shiny arse S&S, every pair of 8's worn by Jack were paint spattered, which we all understood was the reason we weren't allowed to wear AWD ashore.

Ticklertin said:
What, for f***s sake are todays rules for travelling on public transport in rig?
Staff answer. No Rating is allowed to travel anywhere outside the main gate of an establishment in 8's unless he is conducting a duty, eg:

Matelot on night leave comes back pissed and causes altercation with taxi driver. 2OOD, Duty PO and Duty Hand (8's) investigates. Situation becomes untenable, back off. Call civvy police and have said drunk arrested by local constubulary (saves internal paperwork).

Any ratings that are required to work shore side in 8's are to be transported from the parent establishment to the work site in a pussers bus. Otherwise, they are out of the rig of the day. Simple. :lol:

Latest Threads