Travelling in rig.

Ticklertin

Midshipman
What, for f***s sake are todays rules for travelling on public transport in rig?

I joined a train yesterday some 100 miles from the nearest ship (floating or not) and a killick WSM???? joined in what I would call No8s or denims. Scruffy looking OD and the No8s? needed a good dhoby.

Wots 'appened?

:? :?

dondon

MIA
Ticklertin said:
What, for f***s sake are todays rules for travelling on public transport in rig?

I joined a train yesterday some 100 miles from the nearest ship (floating or not) and a killick WSM???? joined in what I would call No8s or denims. Scruffy looking OD and the No8s? needed a good dhoby.

Wots 'appened?

As far as I can see , there aint no rules anymore , please there selves , very few of them wear headgear of any sort , standards have nosedived mate , not just in the Andrew but everywhere , this country has sank into the cesspit , still never mind Romania and Bulgaria join the eu club next year so things can only get better , sorry I've been to the club again , :twisted:

dunkers

War Hero
I would like to know the answer to that question myself. Every time I ask someone I get a different answer. One minute travelling in rig is allowed, the next it's not, the next you've got to put a civvy jacket on and not wear your cap.

As for standards, nobody is caring to enforce them. Sad but not far off the mark if you ask me.

Ticklertin said:

Wots 'appened?

You should have asked him ---- he may have told you a sea story -heheh
I used to travel in eights but in a car --maybe his had broken down and he was making his way back by train.

dunkers said:
WSM, is that a submariner?, do submarines have ironing facilities :?

If the guy had been a Submariner he'd have been noticed more for the smell --- :lol: :lol:

Yes we did have irons -----however the laundry did a fair job of No 8's so no pressing needed usually.

Greenie said:
dunkers said:
WSM, is that a submariner?, do submarines have ironing facilities :?

If the guy had been a Submariner he'd have been noticed more for the smell --- :lol: :lol:

Yes we did have irons -----however the laundry did a fair job of No 8's so no pressing needed usually.

Until I met Nutty I though this thing about submariners not washing was a myth. Now I realise it isn't... 8O Oops.. I should rephrase that!!! Until I met him I thought it was a myth but he explained to me that there really were no proper washing facilities on board. Yuk!

doens't really count but I always get on the bus, in 8's or my number 1's. most people ether think I'm a copper ( white shirt black trousers) or a traffic warden!

DOes have the up side, I rarely pay to get on the bus any more and get a free drink and doughnut with every roll ordered at subway when in uniform

MightyCrash

Badgeman
I believe that the answer is that Jack may travel in rig as well as go ashore in rig (as long as he/she does not drink alcohol) but headgear is to be worn and his state of dress must be smart. Split rig is certainly not allowed - and I have picked up people for it over the last couple of years!

Novocastrian

Badgeman
percey99 said:
YES >>> But remember .... When it comes to doing the job it will be done ..... AS ALWAYS

Yes but by whom?

I see a correlation between falling standards of dress and falling standards in general. If someone is quite prepared to travel on public transport looking like a total scranbag what does that say about that persons level of professionalism? Ok, when he gets onboard his sub/ship he might be a wheel but if he can't see that he's letting himself, his ship, and the RN down by projecting such a shoddy image then I would be asking questions about his personal integrity.