Travel Permission

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by MiniDoc, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. Does anybody know what the situation is regarding permission to travel to the Republic of Ireland (Dublin specifically)? I’m currently an RN Medical Cadet, and I was thinking of heading over after my finals for a couple of days. I’d normally ask the university office at BRNC, but they’re shut for the bank holiday and the flights dirt cheap at the moment!

2. It's part of the EU, PIRA have downed tools, for the moment, if that's what you're concerned about.
    As long as you don't get too ratted and burn down Trinity College thereby bringing the RN into disrepute I think you'll be right.
    Have a Guinness for me.
  3. Thanks, will do. Drunken antics haven't descended to arson yet, but there's always a first time!
    The reason I was asking was only because I vaguely remember being told something about needing written permission and giving 28days notice. That was a good few years ago though, and I'm not sure if that's still the case what with everything quietening down now.
  4. Don't quote me on this, but if you don't tell they won't know. :thumright:
  5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

It used to be 21 days notice but that went out the window when BritMilRep at the Embassy in Dublin ceased to exist. You don't have to give notice now at all and all ratings/officers can go to Rep of Ireland.

Mind you, it never used to stop anyone going before the rules were lifted! :D

I would say though that if you're planning to go to Ireland for a weekend, you'll have a lot more fun in Cork or Galway (where I went to Boarding School). Dublin is a good weekend but Galway and Cork are even better :thumright:

NZ_B, if anyone were to burn down Trinity, it would've been 'the boys' due to the fact Trinity was seen as a 'Protestant Uni' (yes, I know it sounds fecking ridiculous) up until the '70's when special dispensation had to be given-such was the power of the church in those times when they were more powerful than the government. Luckily, those times have changed.
  6. Thanks NZ_B and T_M. Post exams p***up now sorted. Head back in surgery textbook!