Travel overseas - do we need to tell anyone?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Uncle_Albert, Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recall that travelling overseas to some places required us to tell someone. Does anyone know what countries these are and who we're supposed to tell?

2. Starter for 10 - drop a dit into the unit and if you hear nuffink then you are cleared to go and it is someone else's problem!

But on a serious note, I believe there is/used to be a regularly updated DCI or similar that stated those countries where you had to pre-notify - UPO should be able to point you in the right direction

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Generally it depends on your level of clearance and where you are going. If you are DV'd then you need to be careful with travelling to certain countries and its best to let the unit know. If SC and its somewhere normal then don't worry too much.

4. The key thing is if you tell them before you go you will be advised on what sort of contact to be aware off and thus be able to report any contact on return, thus keeping them happy.

A mate of mine many years ago went on holiday behing the 'curtain' and though it would appear no real attempt was made to subvert him, there were a few contacts that could have led to something if he had not had the briefing before he went.

5. check the latest travel DCI or wqhatever the f*ck theyre called now.

I honeymooned in Romania in the 80's no probs

6. At the very least, you should tell the missus.

7. Leave note on kitchen table ("Just popped out for a pack of Superkings") on my way out the door to the aeroport - check.

8. Don't laugh!

I know a bloke who left his wife, son and inlaws at home on boxing day saying he was going to the NEXT sale and didn't come home again!

He left a note in the milk bottle on the door step and disapeared to Spain with his bit on the side and his new born twin sons!!!!

You couldn't bloody write it! His wife didn't find the note for three days and was phoning the police and everything!

Not good!

9. :wav: :notworthy: :laughing3: :boogie:

I hate smilies, but that deserved the lot.