Trapped nerve in the neck

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Stefan_grainger, Jul 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was at Faslane last month I have incurred a trapped nerve in my neck, it eased after a few days but on Saturday it has come back with a vengeance! Last night I was close to calling out a doctor as I felt sick and was dizzy on my feet with the pain, I’ve got shooting pains down my arm too.

It took me 10 minutes to get out of bed today. Does anyone have any solutions to help ease the pain? I’ve been using a healable neck bean bag which helps a little but not for long, I’m taking 500mg paracetamol 3 times a day but it doesn’t help at all.

Went doctors yesterday but he just said take the pain killers and get on with it. My necks locked to the side haha I look like Frankenstein

2. Albert would have sorted your neck out no problem sadly he is no longer with us.

http://www.pierrepoint.co.uk/albert.htm

Pain killers only disguise the problem. Seek a second opinion doctors bury their mistakes.

NHS HELPLINE HERE

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=531&sectionId=11

4. Guys, for God's sake, he's got a trapped nerve not a bloody spinal tumour! If you had any idea at all, you'd give him proper advice before criticising his GP.

Stefan - you're not taking as much pain killer as you should be. Take 1g of paracetamol (usually 2 tablets) 4 times a day (this is the max dose - don't take more, or any other paracetamol containing products, eg Beechams). Add in ibuprofen, 400mg 3 times a day. Try gentle neck exercises: touching your chin to your chest, then looking all the way up. Turn your head to look over each shoulder, and try to touch your ear to your shoulder. Perservere with these exercises.

Warm or cold packs on the neck can help too, but I'd get going with proper analgesia.

To dispel a myth: "painkillers disguise the problem". THIS IS TOTAL SHIT. I am sick saying it. If I am in pain, I take pain killers. It's not rocket science. The liklihood of a significant neck problem without any injury or suggestive mechanism is impossibly low. The main problem with "trapped nerves" is inflammation and, guess what, anti-infammatories (ie ibuprofen) get rid of it! Occasionally this will not cut the mustard, and a physiotherapist will need to have a look. However, the first line of treatment is anti-inflammatories.

If you're no better after a week of proper painkillers then go back to Sickbay and you will be referred to a physiotherapist. PM me if you want more info.

5. Thank you for the advice.

I am home now I was at Faslane in June as part of the RNAC.