Transom Flap

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Just followed a few links from here and found a report of HMS Manchester visiting Liverpool last year.

It states she has been fitted with a Transom Flap, what is this all about?

Ships with flaps, I know they are refered to as a "she" but, what next getting the 909 domes augmented?

Due to the type of Blade now used, a transom flap is fitted to increase speed and decrease wake.
Its not a flap as such, more like a spoiler on a car, but underwater :)

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Ahh, I see, I suppose it reduces that Urking great fountain of oggin that shot up out of the back end of a 42 when the skipper put his foot down.

Shame, we used to see how long we could get the gash bags to stay with the ship.

I suppose they arent allowed to ditch them anymore, MARPOL and all that.

What fun you are missing, what do you shoot at these days?

Gino

Badgeman
All jests about the term aside, the Canadian Navy's new ORCA class training vessels have a stern flap or "shoe" that increases the top speed through some sort of hydrodynamic magic. See photo on this web page:

ORCA

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
Lamri said:
Due to the type of Blade now used, a transom flap is fitted to increase speed and decrease wake.
Its not a flap as such, more like a spoiler on a car, but underwater :)
G'day Lamri.

Thanks mate, that had me completely stumped.

pingbosun.

Father_Famine said:
Just followed a few links from here and found a report of HMS Manchester visiting Liverpool last year.

It states she has been fitted with a Transom Flap, what is this all about?

Ships with flaps, I know they are refered to as a "she" but, what next getting the 909 domes augmented?
The Manchester was in Liverpool last month

Transom Flaps are not new, the Brave class FPBs (Borderer & Swordsman) were fitted with adjustable ones to reduce 'Slamming' when running at speed in lumpy seas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Blue Jokes 0
Naval_Gazer Current Affairs 42
sgtpepperband The Gash Barge 4