Translation

Pete_the_Knife

Midshipman
How long before effnic recruits require translators, they seem to be available in every other walk of life all paid for by yer average taxpayer as per usual.

I admit that I have never been good at speaking England but I get by.

Just saw it on the news a low estimate of £100,000,000 not bad eh? what would it cost to put them to nightschool to learn English?

Pete_the_Knife

Midshipman
Then again they could be useful on a foreign run ashore. So long as you get one for each country.

But having said that beer is the same in any language

I probably fall close to the bleeding heart liberal end of the RR spectrum but even I believe people should be strongly encouraged to learn English. Perhaps it could be tied to the benefit system somehow? Having grown up in the north of England I'm not in favour of ghettos. Pity we didn't think of it 30 years ago. Remember 'Mind your language'? It would also give a tererific boost to the adult education system which is suffering a bit at the moment.

Following this lodgic does this mean that any Brit wishing to ply his trade in the Middle East must first speak Arabic. Well that the Army, Crabs and Pusser home not withstanding most of the expats in the Gulf. So all ex-pats in HK must speak Chinese. Nearly a million Brits in Spain must speak Serbo Croat.

Get real people

Nutty

RoofRat

War Hero
Nutty
Following this lodgic does this mean that any Brit wishing to ply his trade in the Middle East must first speak Arabic. Well that the Army, Crabs and Pusser home not withstanding most of the expats in the Gulf. So all ex-pats in HK must speak Chinese. Nearly a million Brits in Spain must speak Serbo Croat.

Buisness is different Nutty, but if you go to live in another country, yes you should learn the local language out of principle and curtesy.
I've seen Brits abroad, particularly in Spain, who think shouting louder and putting an O on the end of words makes them Spanish speakers :lol: Either that or they live in one of those ghetto's of English speakers refusing to learn the language.........................
RoofRat

Pete_the_Knife

Midshipman
Nutty said:

Get real people

Nutty

Er, I think the quote goes something like 'When in Rome do as etc'
So yeah if you work foreign you should try to speak the lingo a bit

Ok I am going to have to come out as a Channel Islander, there is a real minority for you! And as such I was brought up with French and English and as a result am not afraid of learning new languages.

If you are intending to spend a long time in a place, you should learn the language and its customs. That doesn't mean you should forget where you came from and its language and traditions.

Given there is much more opportunity in the modern world to move from your country of birth, you should expect to make yourself understood in the place you choose to live.

Latest Threads