Transferring to the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by burtonshaw, May 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey,

i am currenty a systems engineer (communications) tech in the army. recently (due to bowman) my job has become pretty obsolete, which leads to me sitting around, getting no job satisfaction.

i was wondering if there were any RN communications techs on here who could tell me what life is like for them as i am thinking of transferring to continue my job with the RN.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi, Welcome,

there are a few Comms Tech's (CT) on here & doubtless they'll be along sooner or later. The job is a bit different to your current trade, so it maybe worth downloading an information pack at the link above as the RN CT will involve linguists and analysts in defence intelligence gathering.

The Transfer Process is here however the Army are usually a little cagey allowing you to transfer "in service" and often insist you have to leave first. If you can transfer without leaving, definitely do it that way.

As well as the GCSE requirement for Comms Tech, you also need to score extremely well in the RN recruiting test & you're strongly advised to take this test whilst still serving as very few make the grade nationally.

Best of luck to you.

3. ah, i see. there used to be a job in the RN very similar to my current one. repairing and maintaining and occaisionally operating communications informations systems technologies.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator