Transferring to RM

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Alright guys!

Almost at the end of my phase 2 in the RN. Had a long think about this and I’ve constantly been second guessing myself about transferring.

I’ve decided that if I’m constantly thinking about it, why not just bite the bullet and go for it.

Does anybody know what the process of this would be? I’m fully aware I’d have to redo my PJFT, PRMC and all that. Would my process be sped up just because I’m transferring, or would I put at the bottom of the list like a civvie would?

All input is appreciated, cheers troop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Speak to your DO. There is manning clearance to get through as you are not on the GTS. If you are an engineer, CT, SM or some WAR branches it’s highly unlikely you will be allowed to TX. Especially if you are nearly at the end of your PH2 training..

As you are on the UTS the link above is incorrect, this is the one you are after..

Cheers!

Balwearie101

Badgeman
Roger 'Thanks for the link'.

You've been thinking about it 'constantly' but haven't yet asked your DO about it, and now it's become such a pressing matter you can't wait for leave to end.
My DO’s shore draft ended so we got a new DO, and I wasn’t able to speak to him before we broke off.

I’ve spoke to my course PO, and he’s totally on board with it as long as I get clearance. Would there be any reason why my DO would have a problem with me transferring? The only thing I could think of, is my branch is a “priority” role, yet so is the RM.

Cheers.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would think that the amount that has been invested in your training to date, for which they are getting no return, could be a problem.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
It isn't down to your DO, he will naturally support you though (as long as you haven't been a problem child to him). You say your DO has changed, did you let your previous DO (during your joining chat) know about your second thoughts about your parent branch? If so, it will be recorded on your 'scribble pad'. So your new DO will know about it too. If not and you have been thinking about it 'for a while' I would question your commitment.

Manning clearance is a very subjective thing. Just because a branch is 'short' doesn't mean that your parent branch will release you. Especially, if as your say you are in a priority role. The RN invested in you and allocated you a place to join, when you did, in the branch you did. Therefore denying someone else that chance to have your spot. You also signed on the dotted line that you were wiling to accept employment in that role. As such, the RN invokes the much used 'needs of the service' clause. The RN doesn't have to give you a branch TX by default, as shit and hard as it sounds.

Otherwise, I am sure lots of Jack's and Jenny's would be slapping it in when they had a shit day.

Chat to your DO as soon as you get back and he will chat to the Ratings Pipeline manager, who will no doubt be getting 25,000 requests just after a leave period. I would manage your expectations though, if you are serious, you can always TX when you are on the GTS a bit later on. This will however, but just as difficut.

Last edited:

Seadog

War Hero
‘Transfer’ is something you do with a poor return bank account to a not quite as low interest bank account.