Transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RAFEddie, Jan 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

Im 34 yrs old lad in the RAF and I'm looking at transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy. I'm in my last year of my 15 years engagement and wish to do the same logistical supply role (Supply Chain Logistics).

My questions are;

*Would I have to do both phases 1 and 2 fully?
    *Can my pay stay at the same level as I'm only SAC (Able Seaman)?
    *Does anyone know if anyone else has done this before?

Da Stacker
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's certainly been done before.

The RN branch manager calls the shots with regard your training pipeline - generally the advice is expect the worst, hope for the best. Once approval is granted to transfer, the terms under which it happens will be fully outlined in the letter. At this point you can either go for it, or are at liberty to tell them to poke it.

If you do need any re-training, you'll usually drop pay for the duration but should hopefully revert to the same pay increment once back at OPS. Again the Approval to Process letter will outline the detail.

How to get the ball rolling? Bear in mind you'll often be told you must leave & apply afresh as it is often placed in the "too difficult" file by the arm of the service losing you. The tip is do the legwork whilst serving, complete selection via a local AFCO (taking leave if necessary), once you've completed selection, you are in a strong position to request a fairly seamless transfer.

Good luck.
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

GSOH, WLTM....
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you Ninja_Stoker.

I have spoken with the AFCO last week over the phone and it seems that the best way for myself is to apply for a transfer. Especially as i'm going for the same trade and the AFCO says they are activiitly recruiting Supply chain Logisticans all year round. I have put my transfer application in last week to my line management.
  5. No.... Biting lip ;)
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good effort.

In the unlikely event when (if?) your line management respond as predicted, post #2 applies.