Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy

RAFEddie

Hi Everyone,

Im 34 yrs old lad in the RAF and I'm looking at transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy. I'm in my last year of my 15 years engagement and wish to do the same logistical supply role (Supply Chain Logistics).

My questions are;

*Would I have to do both phases 1 and 2 fully?
*Can my pay stay at the same level as I'm only SAC (Able Seaman)?
*Does anyone know if anyone else has done this before?

Cheers,

Da Stacker

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's certainly been done before.

The RN branch manager calls the shots with regard your training pipeline - generally the advice is expect the worst, hope for the best. Once approval is granted to transfer, the terms under which it happens will be fully outlined in the letter. At this point you can either go for it, or are at liberty to tell them to poke it.

If you do need any re-training, you'll usually drop pay for the duration but should hopefully revert to the same pay increment once back at OPS. Again the Approval to Process letter will outline the detail.

How to get the ball rolling? Bear in mind you'll often be told you must leave & apply afresh as it is often placed in the "too difficult" file by the arm of the service losing you. The tip is do the legwork whilst serving, complete selection via a local AFCO (taking leave if necessary), once you've completed selection, you are in a strong position to request a fairly seamless transfer.

Good luck.

RAFEddie

Thank you Ninja_Stoker.

I have spoken with the AFCO last week over the phone and it seems that the best way for myself is to apply for a transfer. Especially as i'm going for the same trade and the AFCO says they are activiitly recruiting Supply chain Logisticans all year round. I have put my transfer application in last week to my line management.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you Ninja_Stoker.

I have spoken with the AFCO last week over the phone and it seems that the best way for myself is to apply for a transfer. Especially as i'm going for the same trade and the AFCO says they are activiitly recruiting Supply chain Logisticans all year round. I have put my transfer application in last week to my line management.
Good effort.

In the unlikely event when (if?) your line management respond as predicted, post #2 applies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Transferring from the RAF to the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
T Transferring The Fleet Air Arm 2
L Transferring Roles (NSI or BOP Change) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Transferring from one role to another The Fleet Air Arm 5
A LET transferring from Navy to RM Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B Transferring to RM Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS Press release: Southend director banned for transferring assets to father-in-law MoD News 0
vauxhall Transferring Benefits Finance & Pensions 0
A Transferring from army (advice) Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Transferring from RN to RFA? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
K Transferring from the army to the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
D Transferring from regular to reserve. RMR 14
Popcorn Transferring to Royal Navy Police Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
T RNR-Transferring from Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
F Transferring from RN Phase 2 to RM. The Corps 4
M Transferring from the Army to the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
JohnnyCanuck Transferring to RN International 5
F Transferring from RM to RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N transferring to the Australian navy ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
SkullFuct Transferring to NZ navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
stokers64 branch transferring to air crewman? Blogs 2
B Transferring to the Corps The Corps 5
R Transferring from the Army to the Navy as an Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Transferring to the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
B Transferring to the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Branch Transferring The Fleet 3
A Transferring once your in Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Transferring from the Royal Marines The Fleet Air Arm 5
G Transferring to the RMR RMR 5
T Transferring to RM... The Corps 11
MoD_RSS Major step forward for RAF Lossiemouth upgrades as runway refurbishment finishes early MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Mike Utley CB OBE and Edward Stringer as Naval and RAF Trustees respectively of the Imperial War Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF surveillance fleet to be based in Moray MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sustainable fuels to power RAF jets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Milestone for runway works at RAF Lossiemouth as aircraft return MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF looks to the future on Battle of Britain Day MoD News 0
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
MoD_RSS Counter-drone tech and state-of-the-art radar for the RAF MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces multi million pound funding for Moray College Hub at RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Operation for RAF Poseidon tracking Russian Warship MoD News 0
J Navy to raf apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS RAF flights to take UK aid-funded supplies to Africa to tackle coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £20-million contract awarded for Typhoon infrastructure at RAF Lossiemouth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF Fighter Jets, Surveillance and Refuelling aircraft have been in action across Europe this week in support of NATO allies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF completes COVID support task at Kinloss MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RAF jets in Lithuania intercept Russian aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red Arrows to stay in Lincolnshire following RAF Scampton closure MoD News 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35