Transferring from the army to the navy

kinso89

Hello
I was wondering if somebody could give me some guidance please? I have been in the army just over 5 years I am still a sapper rank within the Royal engineers but looking to gain lcpl this Octobers board. I no longer want to be in the army though as I'm finding it tedious and would like to try something different still within HM forces. I requested my transfer pack off my regimental RCMO and completed all sections and will hand it in tomorrow. I was wondering though will I have to take a huge pay cut transferring accross to the RN? Has anybody ever come accross somebody before transferring accross said arms?

I have been looking as some possible job opportunities within the RN in the engineering field. I have some civilian street engineering quals such as a modern apprenticeship and I have also gained some further engineering quals in my time in the army.

Does anybody have any sort of idea how long the wait is for the jobs I list below? Just any sort advice and pointers and I would be very grateful...

Undergraduate apprenticeship scheme (UGAS)
Motorman grade 1 (RFA)
Leading hand supply chain (RFA)
Engineering technician (marine engineer)

Thank you very much.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hello
I was wondering if somebody could give me some guidance please? I have been in the army just over 5 years I am still a sapper rank within the Royal engineers but looking to gain lcpl this Octobers board. I no longer want to be in the army though as I'm finding it tedious and would like to try something different still within HM forces. I requested my transfer pack off my regimental RCMO and completed all sections and will hand it in tomorrow. I was wondering though will I have to take a huge pay cut transferring accross to the RN? Has anybody ever come accross somebody before transferring accross said arms?

I have been looking as some possible job opportunities within the RN in the engineering field. I have some civilian street engineering quals such as a modern apprenticeship and I have also gained some further engineering quals in my time in the army.

Does anybody have any sort of idea how long the wait is for the jobs I list below? Just any sort advice and pointers and I would be very grateful...

Undergraduate apprenticeship scheme (UGAS)
Motorman grade 1 (RFA)
Leading hand supply chain (RFA)
Engineering technician (marine engineer)

Thank you very much.
RN or RFA?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are 3 or 4 ex Pongo's either now serving in the RN or going through the transfer process, have a look at the search facility (top right) I think Hooly is at sea at the moment.

Seadog

War Hero
As RN you may serve on an RFA ship but not the other way around.
Not so. I know several examples of RFA Officers and Ratings being appointed to RN ships but other than (IIRC) first appointment PWOs, no one is obliged.

The current HMS Protector had an RFA Bosun and WEO early on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Transferring from the Army to the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
R Transferring from the Army to the Navy as an Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Transferring from army (advice) Joining the Royal Navy 2
T Transferring The Fleet Air Arm 2
L Transferring Roles (NSI or BOP Change) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J Transferring from one role to another The Fleet Air Arm 5
A LET transferring from Navy to RM Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
B Transferring to RM Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS Press release: Southend director banned for transferring assets to father-in-law MoD News 0
vauxhall Transferring Benefits Finance & Pensions 0
R Transferring from RN to RFA? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
D Transferring from regular to reserve. RMR 14
Popcorn Transferring to Royal Navy Police Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
T RNR-Transferring from Rating to Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
RAFEddie Transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
F Transferring from RN Phase 2 to RM. The Corps 4
JohnnyCanuck Transferring to RN International 5
F Transferring from RM to RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N transferring to the Australian navy ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
SkullFuct Transferring to NZ navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
stokers64 branch transferring to air crewman? Blogs 2
B Transferring to the Corps The Corps 5
H Transferring to the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
B Transferring to the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Branch Transferring The Fleet 3
P Transferring from the RAF to the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
A Transferring once your in Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Transferring from the Royal Marines The Fleet Air Arm 5
G Transferring to the RMR RMR 5
T Transferring to RM... The Corps 11
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Army's construction vehicles boosted by £240 million contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.2m innovation contracts awarded to help Army engineers survey water crossings MoD News 0
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
MoD_RSS Defence Minister and Head of the US Army sign Modernisation Agreement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army experts boost NATO fight against COVID-19 disinformation MoD News 0
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS The UK completes training of Somali National Army battalion in Baidoa MoD News 0
O Territorial Army to Navy Paperwork Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil Plymouth Live: "Royal Navy And British Army Reduce Presence In Caribbean" RFA 3
P Royal Navy or British Army? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS £2.8bn armoured vehicle contract secured for British Army MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army and RAF listed as top 100 social mobility employers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Army soldiers’ skills mapped to the Scottish qualifications framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army boosts UK prosperity with £3m funding through DASA autonomous competition MoD News 0
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS British Army launches Industrial Engagement Framework MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DE&S and British Army launch the Army Warfighting Experiment (AWE) 20 experimentation project MoD News 0