transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in service

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dantae, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. some one mentioned this can be done in service (and i am going to check with my current recruiter) but i am 2% off from this branch and am not allowed another test, so my qestions are is this possible, 2 is there a good chance of it happening ,3 and from what branch would the transfer have to be made from the recruiter said the warfare branch but i cant be sure (they are very keen on pushing me into this branch above others including royal marine)

2. Mate, if it's a diver you want to be, join as a diver. Brush up on your English (a few very simple grammatical changes to your post would improve it vastly) and try the test again later, and get a 2% better score. Don't go into a branch knowing that it's not where you want to be.

3. Hopefully they will never put you on a mixed-gas dive. If you speak english at the same standard that you write it then you would be completely unintelligible on heliox.

RM

4. Two questions.
    Do you have a shift key on your keyboard?
    What is a "slightly royal marine"?

2BM

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Come on lads, credit where its due, He must have good lungs to say that without breathing, surely this makes him a good candidate for Diver

6. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

i got 2% to low on my retest sorry if i didnt mention that i dont have another test open to me

7. janner

dantae, I'm not taking the p+ss here, trying to help.

I don't know what standard of education you have had, but your posts to date have left a lot to be desired, ie. you do not use either punctuation or capital letters where needed. I know that this is a forum and its not the end of the world if a word is misspelt or a comma missed, but if you formulate your sentances properly it might help you raise your test results.

8. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

ok i have just added some grammer to my original post so is there any way this can be done, i dont have another test i have already taken 2 test's so if anyone knows for sure i would be much obliged.

9. :roll:

D'ya want some 'Private Lessons'?
    :roll:

10. janner

If its French ones Higs yer man

11. You generaly don't have to be the sharpest tool in the box to be a diver anyway, but if you want to do it, stick at it. Try again, go harder and take control of your future, no one will give you anything for free (except VD), so go for it. Transfering in service, hmmm. Don't get caught up in that one, your heart won't be in it if you really want to be something else and it could take you years to change over, if ever.
    Don't fail to get your job by 2%, **** that, do it again, there is plenty of free help in the UK, take advantage of it.
    Good luck. Don't take second choice.

12. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

There is no reason why you couldn’t “sideways entry†into the divers branch, but it depends on a lot of things. No one can say for 100% that you’ll be able to transfer. If you join a shortage branch then that will really count against a transfer. You picks your branch, you takes your chance. Becoming a ships diver would really help.

:cool:

13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

No such thing anymore.

14. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

Really. Missed that news since I left. What was the reasoning behind that decision?

15. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

The general consensus around the office is that ships divers do exist. That was certainly the case 18 months ago when I last stepped foot on an RN vessel.

:roll:

16. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

Things have changed rapidly in the RN since then. There were ship's divers 18 months ago but they've stopped training them now. Which office are you working in then?

Smooth,

They got rid of them as a cost-cutting measure and so that the clearance divers could get out and about on as many jollies as possible. :D
    However, I'm puzzled about one thing.

How the hell are they going to recruit suitable sideways entry guys now they haven't got the ability to show their capability as Ships divers???

17. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

I didn't know they'd stopped ships divers courses. Every day is a learning day. The office is in fas rain, but no actual divers amongst us, just lots of silly old sods who really should go back to sea.

:cool:

18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

dantae, Please, please, please Join anything except the Royal Marines, the thought of you with anything more dangerous than a blunt bayonet sends shivers down my spine. I would suggest staying away from the cooks branch as well, the opportunities for mass murder are to good.

The word on the street is the TA SAS are activley recriuting for human mine detectors. You can join them straight from Civvy street, You must be able to bunny hop though.

Good luck.

19. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

Ooh Ohh, where do I sign? :lol: :lol:

20. Re: transfering to the diveing branch can it happen in servi

The RN diving branch has been substandard for years now. Whenever a tough diving job comes up it is always quietly slid sideways to civilians. RN diving has little capability and what it does have is below par.

The biggest joke in the diving industry was when the British tax-payer gave Jolly Jack 200 million pounds and let him build an "advanced diving vessel" - HMS Challenger. The resulting fiasco was a complete white elephant because Jack wouldn't listen to the experts who were routinely saturation diving to 1000 fsw and had pushed the envelope out to 2300 fsw for an open water dive.

Challenger never worked satisfactorily and after a couple of years was discreetly de-commissioned.

Dantae you would have to be a real numpty to want to join as an RN diver.

RM