Transferee Help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by percypongo, Nov 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been trawling through plenty of posts and cant find what i'm looking for but i'm looking for any REME guys that transferred over do the dark (blue) side for a chinwag especially Sgt Tech Elects.

Anyone (probably Ninja Stoker) know what the short stint at Raleigh entails.

Cheers

2. Apologies im looking for WE and have PM'd some of these guys.

A keen eye will notice that it doesnt answer the last question i answered.

3. Attempting to stop you stamping when marching and also knocking your eye out when you continue saluting with a 50hz quivering hand.

4. Palm down, shielding the eyes.....

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Then there will be the soap course.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

I'm presuming you are considering transferring as a Sgt Tech? If so, I'll have to do a bit of digging as I've only seen Army Techs coming across as ME so far.

If you can bear with, I'll find out what I can tomorrow. (My wife shouts if I stay in the AFCO too late ;) ).

7. Rightly so she put up with you coming home late from the chiefs mess long enough when you were still serving as a full timer.:D

8. Changed that for accuracy ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Messaged you buddy, Tech Elec going WE(sensors)....hopefully pending medical and interview in Dec.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheers bud any info will be much appreciated

11. Ninja_Stoker

Not seen any publications on WE(Sensors) lateral transfers beyond the Galaxy Brief 13-2015 which only indicates a future intent with regard WE's, unfortunately. I've asked the question internally to try to glean more info but suspect it maybe a few days before I hear anything back.

By Sensors are we talking General Surface (Ships) or Submarines?

If it's Ships, I'd guess you would join Raleigh for a brief "generic RN conversion course", kit issue, fitness assessments (RN Fitness Test & Swim) and basic admin tasks, then off to Collingwood for a bespoke WE conversion course to bring you up to speed on the RN version of the equipment you are already familiar with. After that, Sea Survival (fire-fighting, damage control, liferaft drills, etc), then orf to sea.

If it's boats (the underwatery things), your time in Raleigh would, I'd imagine, include Submarine Dry (ashore) training at the Submarine school, which is also located at Raleigh. The rest would probably be pretty much the same then onto a submarine to complete the Wet (seagoing) phase of your training.

All the above is guesswork at this stage I'm afraid, hopefully we can get some pointers. I suspect you are one the first, if not the first. I'm based in an AFCO "oop North" so suspect "in service" transfers will possibly be conducted by one of the AFCOs "down Sarf" or one in your proximity.

12. Thanks Ninja,

Haven't set in stone any sub branch yet, likely will be ships rather than boats. I am also actually oop North (probably not to true northerners) in Lincoln.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I seem to get a few random transfers bunged my way but the bulk of them seem to be handled primarily at Portsmouth or Plymouth AFCOs.

Very often due to the potential complexities relating to transferable skills, experience, rank and pay/pension we find ourselves having to develop bespoke criteria to fit the recruiting requirement in the required timescales and then hand-over to the branch SMEs to determine the appropriate training package. Sounds very technical, but I stopped smoking about seven or eight years back and find 'Post-Its' nowhere near as useful as the back of a fag packet when it comes to scripting stuff :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

@percypongo, I've just spoken to the 'man in charge'. Well "men" actually; 2SL (Second Sea Lord) himself & followed by the Engineering SO1 by phone. Yep on a Friday afternoon, too.

With regard the career path for REME transferees, as it's recognised there are a broad range of trades, some of which we want, some less -so.

The idea is to "Skill Map" the known courses undertaken by the REME chap(ess) then align them to their nearest RN equivalent. Depending on the "boxes ticked", the appropriate rate (rank) is selected and training package adapted to fit. This could mean demotion/promotion upon transfer subject to the level at which the individual aligns. In short, it is not quite as straight forward as maybe first envisaged, particularly when the Army has trades like blacksmith etc., and the RN doesn't.

15. Cheers ninja I am going off the oavl (official army vacancies list) and weapons engineering was the trade highlighted as requiring my rank and trade. But unsure now you've mentioned that the head of the branch was around on a Friday afternoon

• Like Like x 1
  16. I went off the OAVL list, im going onto a LET course after 1 week induction, so keep rank, (full screw at moment), if i get over the 75% average pass mark, i can be put onto the Time Promotion scheme, basically im doing the Tech Elec Class 1 again, get some sea experience and hopefully begin climbing that ladder soon after.

If you want more info, i have emailed you at work, bud, give me a shout, just bare in mind, we are 7hours behind here in Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Going to finish up the paperwork and pray for a quick transfer to save myself from#coffeegate

18. Ninja_Stoker

19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

50 Hz.