Transfer to the RN

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by dboy, Sep 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I think this is a simple question, but I thought I'd ask it all the same. If in a few years time I wanted to transfer to the RN, do I have to start again from AB, or do I take rank/pay across with me?

The only thing holding me back from applying to go full time is that I can't afford to drop to the starting pay...

Apologies if this is inappropriate as a first post...

(Hello by the way!)

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Short answer - you'd start again at the beginning of the application process and lose all seniority etc.

If you want to join the RN then do so, but don't join the RNR thinking you can sideways transfer, it doesnt work like that.

3. Thanks mate, that clarifies that.

It wasn't my intention so much as an ancillary benefit - I've been thinking of changing my civvy job and if it did work like that, I'd hang put till I could transfer. Since I can't, I shall continue with my original plan and stick with the RNR.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

4. Not strictly true PT - every case will be judged on individual merit - certainly there could be no expectation of a direct transfer with no loss of rank/rate/seniority but it is equally wrong to say that you would start again at the bottom because allowances would be made for experience etc.

5. Purple_twiglet

Normally I'd agree with you broadside - but having known guys go across from RNR to Regs, any promises made at the recruitment office rarely bear fruit later on. Particularly claims of seniority retention and the like - the system just can't seem to cope with it!

6. It's alright chaps, it's my own fault for not getting my shit together when I was younger, I've no qualms about having the door closed now - just another thing to stick on the lessons learned pile (unless the Mrs decides to do a runner, then I'm at liberty to drop as much pay as I want ;) )

7. PT - I wasn't referring to promises made by AFCOs but an actual personally witnessed example back in 1992 or 93 - Jeex, until I started this reply I hadn't realised quite how long ago it was - but a mid seniority RNR Lt cross-decked from RNR to RN with a drop to S/Lt RN while he went back through Dartmouth and then emerged at the other end with a rapid bump back to Lt.

Not saying this is the norm or that it is a frequent occurrence but it happened and I would hope that things have only improved in the intervening 20 years so that this would be less of a mountain for all concerned to climb nowadays.

8. Purple_twiglet

Broadside - sounds like an unusual case to be honest with you. I've known an awful lot of people go regular and without exception the response is 'go to the AFCO, apply for AIB, go to BRNC etc'. The RN is very bad at taking people with experience and starting from square one again.

Worst example I ever heard of was an ex regular, who left the RN as a Lt, having done the full BRNC course and a few years in the Mob, he did FTRS (IIRC got to So2) but found he missed the RN. He asked to rejoin, and was told ''go to the AFCO, apply for AIB, go to BRNC etc'' - so Lt Cdr X RNR, ended up as O/Cdt X RN. To add insult to injury, BRNC backtermed him in term 1 for 'showing an incorrect attitude to militarisation'.

This is a fairly recent example - times havent changed much!

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I am aware of a ex-RN schoolie who joined the RNR after her regular service and worked in the RNR C4ISR world - she subsequently rejoined the RN without too much loss of seniority.