Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer to Royal Marines questions?

Worried mummy

Midshipman
Hi. Not been on here for a while, since I was a worried mummy of a new recruit in basic training. He'd go mad if he knows I was on here, but I'm struggling to understand what he is telling me.

My son has been in for almost 4 years now. He is an NA(AH) He loves the Navy life, but wants more ithink. If that makes sense? He has applied for transfer into the Royal Marines. He has done some physical tests and has been given clearance to transfer. He's got to do the 3 day selection test, and then he tells me it would be 6/12 months before he got a recruit start date.

The thing I can't get my head around, is that he tells me if he fails the 32 week course to become a Royal Marine, that he can be discharged to civi street. Is this right? It makes no sense to me. Why would the Royal Navy spend a fortune training him, then if he fails something which (in my opinion) is to better himself and become more highly trained, that he would be discharged and not be in the Navy any more?

It doesn't make sense to me? I keep telling him he must be wrong. Why would that happen? If it's a possibility, it seems too big a risk to me.

Sumo

War Hero
not totally sure but may be along the lines of, he is no longer RN but RM and comes under their rules.
best he does not fail if selected, he also has to pass the entry requirements first.
Ninja may be along with a better answere?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Now that he has completed his return of service as an NA(AH) and there is not a manning shortfall in his source branch he is permitted to transfer. If he passes PRMC he effectively leaves the Fleet Air Arm on a friday and joins the Royal Marines as a recruit on the monday.

If he fails recruit training, same as any other recruit, he gets discharged. After discharge he can, if he wishes, apply to re-join the RN and if the training reports recommend him for further service, he will be given permission to be processed for re-entry in competition with all other eligible applicants at that time.

Basically, he is resigning as an NA(AH). If the service automatically provided him with a 'safety net' the odds are he would be more likely to wrap in recruit training when the going gets tough (and it does).

We see a fair few transfer RN to RM and that's their prerogative but no-one said it was going to be easy - after four years in, he'll be a recruit, same as any other.

Worried mummy

Midshipman
I know it won't be easy, and I know he is determined to join.

What I don't understand is that because he is trying to better himself, and after spending thousands of pounds training him, that they would be prepared to just let him go if he failed the Marines training. It doesn't make any sense. What if he failed because he got injured? What a waste of training and money.

To me it's like applying for promotion, and if you don't get it, you lose your job?

Does "processed for re entry" mean he'd have to wait another 3 years to get back in, and then start again from scratch?

It seems an awful risk to me. I'm sure he's capable of passing, he's very determined, and he's as fit as a butcher's dog, but the injury possibility worries me.

Sumo

War Hero
Think of it along the lines of he is resigning from one company to join another, even though both are owned by the same entity, if the new job let's him go he has to go back cap in hand to last employer and ask for job back, they then have a process to rejoin, if the joib he lkeft hgas no vacancies he would have to start again in a new role if they offered him a job?
Best you can do is support his choices and hope for the best, he is taking a leap into his own future.

Last edited:
It seems to me that he's done his homework and know the risks.

From what you say he understands and accepts the consequences of failing RM recruit training (for whatever reason).

Illogical as it may seem Ninja has spelled out the rules.

Junior must be 23/24 by now so perhaps it's time for you to ease off on the worrying whilst making sure that he has his Plan B, or even C, thought through to his & your own satisfaction?

Ballistic

War Hero
What I don't understand is that because he is trying to better himself, and after spending thousands of pounds training him, that they would be prepared to just let him go if he failed the Marines training. It doesn't make any sense.

It does from the Navy's point of view.
They've got back their investment in him, (that's what Return of Service is all about), so he's now free to further pursue his career within the RN or leave and get another job (RM).

Whatever he chooses to do, best of luck to him.

Worried mummy

Midshipman
Yes, he's nearly 24 now, and it's what he wants.

I still think it's a massive risk. He could go from having a great career in the Navy, to working in ASDA , just because he wants to give more.

Does anyone know what the pass rate is for transferees? I know it's relatively low for civilians, but he's definitely not like a civilian.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
why will it be different for him than a civvie?
the training is very different from the life of a NA(AH) and injuries can happen to anyone.

I am not too sure that serving a few years in the RN (as a Naval Airman) will mean anything when at Lympstone with everyone else

Worried mummy

Midshipman
We'll just because he's amazingly fit now, and he's militarised, which civilians aren't? He has a stubborn determination which he didn't have before he joined up.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
We'll just because he's amazingly fit now, and he's militarised, which civilians aren't? He has a stubborn determination which he didn't have before he joined up.
militarised and Naval Airmen is not something that goes together..... ;-)

good luck to him, hope it works out

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
To be honest (and speaking from a Branch Managers perspective) I think there would still be a chance that if he fails RM recruit training (as long as he is still physically fit to be in Service) that he could still transfer back to his source branch. This is obviously dependent upon the manning situation for NA(AH) at the time, but it would be a hard nosed BM to say no to a fully trained rating rejoining. Or maybe he might fancy a seamless transfer to a shortage branch? Does he like cooking........! ;)

Worried mummy

Midshipman
To be honest (and speaking from a Branch Managers perspective) I think there would still be a chance that if he fails RM recruit training (as long as he is still physically fit to be in Service) that he could still transfer back to his source branch. This is obviously dependent upon the manning situation for NA(AH) at the time, but it would be a hard nosed BM to say no to a fully trained rating rejoining. Or maybe he might fancy a seamless transfer to a shortage branch? Does he like cooking........! ;)
I'm not really sure what a branch manager is?
And I'm not sure how much info I can put on here.
Are you available for a chat by pm?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
We often see RM recruits with training injuries attempting to transfer to the RN but the simple fact is that the same medical standards apply so a person unfit to continue in the Royal Marines would also be unfit to transfer into the Navy. At least until they were fully recovered.

Royal Marines trained ranks also transfer into the Navy, if they fail branch training, it's usually three strikes and out. Either way it's not a promotion its a change of job.

The attrition rate injury-wise is the same for first time joiners as transferees into the Corps and it is, to be perfectly honest, a game of chance in that respect. The optimum age bracket for success in RM training is about 19-23 probably because people at that age are at their physical and mental peak.

To be honest, as long as he has that stubborn streak aka "State of Mind" and doesn't give up easily, he has a statistical chance of making Kings Squad almost twice as likely as anyone aged under 18 or over 30. The Royal Marines is all about taking risks so failing recruit training is probably the least of his concerns.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm not really sure what a branch manager is?
Simplistically...

In our personnel/manning organisation the Branch Managers 'own' the various trades/branches.

They refine the requirement, i.e. how many people are needed in the branch, what training is required etc. and plan where the branch goes in manning and capability terms.

Career Managers look after people and meet the requirements the Branch Managers set, putting people on courses and into the right positions (jobs) to ensure the Naval Service is manned and people's careers are developed.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Transfer from Army/RAF to Royal Marines CO? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
T Royal Marines transfer to RN Clearance Diver (EOD Aspirations) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
N Transfer: Army To Royal Marines Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Armouredcav18 British Army to Royal Navy transfer Joining the Royal Navy 3
Bill6001 Army Reservist transfer to Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Army Sgt Vehicle Mechanic (REME) transfer to Royal Navy ME Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
T Transfer to MPGS From Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Transfer from RM to RN MoD News 2
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
W Branch Transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS MPs to transfer sanctions power to independent panel MoD News 0
A Aircrew branch transfer UPO/Careers Office 37
MoD_RSS Bank of England consent to transfer of authorisation to issue Northern Irish banknotes MoD News 0
M MN to RN transfer Joining the Royal Navy 10
A Quickest way to transfer to Regulars? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS NDA completes transfer of plutonium from Dounreay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your Learning Map to transfer to GOV.UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s advice helped people on TUPE transfer MoD News 0
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
rabbutler1985 PO GS to transfer to SM either as SNCO or Officer Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
1 Lateral transfer into the RN; possible? What if trained in RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: Winfrith land transfer secures £1.7 million savings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF medics transfer UN hospital in South Sudan to Vietnamese MoD News 0
T Transfer from RM to RN Joining the Royal Navy 25
A Branch transfer as an AB1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
C Army to Navy transfer advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Weapon engineer, role transfer? Joining the Royal Navy 23
S Transfer to RAN Submariners 12
NateDogg Able to transfer/ move to another common wealth force? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Richbomber Transfer offer received The Fleet 34
P Your advice RM transfer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P Possible drafts or transfer opportunities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
D Army to Navy qualified nurse transfer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Army to navy transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
J Army transfer to navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Richbomber Transfer from REME to ETME (SM) Submariners 5
D Transfer to Full Time Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
S branch Transfer from GS to Subs... whats the process? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
I Army to Navy Transfer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
divingduke Transfer from RNR to RN UPO 3
F branch transfer from warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
gerrysurfs Transfer from submarines to surface UPO/Careers Office 5
S Considering attempting to transfer X(GS) Submariners 4
E Transfer to MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6