Transfer to RN from RAF

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Serving_RAF, Dec 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening ladies and gents,

I'm a serving officer in the RAF awaiting phase 2 training still. Does anyone have any advice on how to transfer from the RAF to the RN, but keeping my commission and not having to apply as a civi. I think i may have made a bad career choice with the RAF. I have previous experience with the RNR so I'm not making a blind decision.

Any sensible advice would be appreciated please.

regards

John

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I believe you can't. You leave one service then join the other. It may be relatively seamless if managed well. Ninja Stoker may know more.

3. Ah, just what the Navy needs commitment. :hmph:

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The RN only excepts really good looking RAF girly officers. :thumright:

5. I know it's been done the other way - an RN to RAF transfer - but this was an officer who had completed his training and he was able to transfer his skills (he was an SUY) whilst keeping his commision and some element of his seniority. I am not sure if he had to do any form of basic training. I also know of two others, a REME major who transferred to Lt Cdr AE and a pongo Lt Col who was somehow allowed to transfer to RN Cdr. 'uck knows why!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

There are several governing factors concerning a transfer, not least what trade you are in, whether the RAF has a surplus and can spare you, whether the RN has a shortfall & whether you owe the RAF a Return of Service for being trained thus far.

By far & away the best way to transfer is "in service", however the RAF may simply state that you must leave & re-apply to join the RN (Recruiting Test, sift Interview, AIB, etc) because you are still a trainee & therefore not transferring as a Trained commissioned Officer. (Just a half-baked one, for want of a better metaphor)

The definitive guidance on this can be gained from your RAF Personnel Selection Officer. If you passed AIB whilst in the RNR that may go in your favour.

My gut feeling is that it's unlikely you will be permitted to carry over a commission as an untrained Officer into the RN, but hopefully I'm wrong, you have a letter off the Pope & are a member of a masonic lodge. (Delete where applicable)

Best of luck.

7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I work with him....why oh why do we do these things to ourselves? He wanders about like a tramp spouting gibberish.