Transfer to RAN

Sickchit

Gents, has anyone here transferred to the Aus navy? Can anyone spin a decent dit on it?

I'm an LET back afty submariner, considering putting my chit in. I've heard this and that about a possible transfer but no real detail.

Any info appreciated, ta.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
You do not transfer, you leave the RN and apply to join the RAN.

They have a "lateral transfer arrangement" with the RN, which is a gentlemans agreement to ensure poaching doesn't happen. What it doesn't do is ensure an easy ride into the RAN.

You will need to contact the RAN PoC in London who are managing the UK side of the Overseas Lateral Recruits programme.

The RAN is looking at SM personnel, ET(ME), best looking from here https://m.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitment-centre/can-i-join/citizenship/navy/

Gazunder

Midshipman
Hi All, I have been searching the web for ages trying to find out the program of HMS Otus S18 in 1968, I am mainly interested in the port visits that we did on the South American cruise. Can anybody help me out please? TIA

Hi All, I have been searching the web for ages trying to find out the program of HMS Otus S18 in 1968, I am mainly interested in the port visits that we did on the South American cruise. Can anybody help me out please? TIA

@Gazunder If you are not a Member already you might consider joining the Submariners Association as an Overseas Member - Your contact is Keith Bishop, Membership Secretary:

https://www.submarinersassociation.co.uk/index.php/about/contacts-online-forms/contact-us

His data base is extensive and could bring up contact details of any SA Member(s) who were serving in HMS OTUS at that time.

Gazunder

Midshipman
Cheers WreckerL. Appreciated Mate.

About transferring to the RAN. I joined the RAN in 1976 straight from HMS Neptune. I had to buy myself out of the RN. I didn't actually give them any cash but I had to show evidence that I had it. I had a chat to my bank manager at the RBS Helensburgh branch, told him my problem. Being a good egg, he gave me signed forms to say that I did have the ackers. I had been in touch with Australia House in the Strand, their Defence Dept always has reps there from all three Sevices. I went with my family and took the Oath and signed. They sent us out on a liner on full pay including allowances. Good six week's holiday.

Latest Threads