Transfer To RAF?

Discussion in 'UPO' started by Cj2063, Apr 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, im currently a Leading Aircraft Engineering Technician (Avionics) in the Royal Navy and was considering a tranfer to the Royal Air Force, just curious if anyone has any insight on this, if they know anyone who did this and if the RAF is likely to be interested? Any feedback would be good. Thanks
  2. Why????????????
  3. Are you fed up of turning to?
  4. No, i enjoy the job, the people, the Navy, however what i dont like is being stuck down in Cornwall for the rest of my career/life which ever ends first, so im exploring other possible options other than ending a my career.
  5. He's got a point
  6. Wafu to wannabe crab!!!!!! Slim will not be amused :frown::frown:
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Maybe it's worth having a chat with the RAF chaps at your local AFCO.

Oddly enough, we (AFCO RN) only deal with transfers occurring the other way around so don't have vision of their process. We gets lots of enquiries with regard RAF to RN AET transfers, due to the fact AETs are less restricted in their technical tasking, so I'm guessing the grass may not be quite as green as anticipated, but happy to stand corrected.

Pip, pip, Old chap.
  8. but he might want to work on fixed wing A/C before his time is up!!!! :frown::frown:
  9. Directions to the RN physiatrics unit may be more in line!!!!

Transfer to Crab - Words fail me.:pukeleft:
  10. Fixed that for you ... no charge!:D
  11. Muchus Graci-arse!!! Tis my spell checker. Even have the UK version defaulted but Apple wants to play it's own game. :D
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

M'luds, consider the evidence.

MLP has been silent for long periods of time.
    MLP has been based in Cornwall
    MLP has, I put it to you, been found guilty of something, spent time somewhere where he couldnt communicate, and has also lost his rate.
    MLP has decided to instead remove toys from cot and join the RAF.

MLP & RAF - a match made in polyester heaven...
  13. I`d rather be stuck in Cornwall than Oxfordshire.
    But then you would have Call Me Dave as your local MP, and he`s got a great record of supporting the forces.
  14. Try asking the Crabs on "E-Goat"

They cast disparaging remarks about Wafus
  15. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are two courses of action available to you here.

1. Report sick. You are clearly suffering from some sort of stress.
    2. Sign out the mess Webley.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. When I decided that I wanted to be a civvy I just retired.
  17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Did you never consider the RAFVR? My cousin did. He's never been seen since. Oh the shame.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Oh the shame of it thinking of transfering over to the DARK SIDE !
  19. I know a few years ago the RAF gt rid of a lot of their own Aircraft engineers. The RAF in London say the branch is not open but it might be worth a chat with the nearest Careers office.

20. Might be also worth looking at the Crabs "Methods of Working" and areas of responsibility. You might find that you have more freedom to work more or less on your own staying where you are - have heard that the Crabs are very proscriptive in what they allow people to do! Would also be useful to look at promotion times ... last time I had anything to do with the Crabs (agreed this was decades ago) promotion was very restricted and even making corporal was taking donkeys years and the jump to Sergeant was nigh on mission impossible. Very much "dead mans shoes".