Transfer to Full Time

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Dot89, May 8, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strange one for you...

Currently an OC in the RNR and desperate to join full time! At 26, I am too old to join as a Warfare Officer (HM) which I originally pitched for but got too old in the middle of my AIB validity.
    After realising that I am currently living for Tuesday nights and occasional weekends I called the Careers Office to try and rectify my poor decision to join part time by beginning an application for full time entry to HMS Raleigh but was told it has to be an internal transfer-so far through communicating with my unit it seems my unusual request has left everyone in a muddle with no definite answers!
    I understand I will have to complete the full 10 weeks at HMS Raleigh but while I'm STILL waiting for a response...can I leave my OC days behind me and join Basic Training at HMS Raleigh?!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The thing you seek is the seamless transfer - all that is required is the completion of Form L007 - available from your regional JSU/UPO/Pay Office. It is one side of A4, very straightforward.

Failing that, if you leave the RNR and apply afresh through your AFCO, you'll probably add several months onto your application as you gain approval to enter the Naval service, produce your pay statements, discharge papers & retake all time-expired selection elements.

3. @Dot89 I've recently just went through the process you're talking about, albeit I wanted to join as a rating from the start.

Don't know what it'll be like for you but I didn't have to complete the entire process as some elements were in date due to being in the RNR, this sped up the process considerably for me. Took me about 8 months to get to Raleigh which wasn't too bad after hearing other people's waiting times!

I don't know what you're planning to do but I kept attending drill nights right up until the Sunday before I started at Raleigh. Good luck with your application!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Just to be aware - most rating jobs (although not all) have a wait of less than 6 months at present.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I know of someone who would disagree with that ;)

6. Ninja_Stoker

There are a few jobs with longer waits such as AET, NA(AC), CT, Sea Spec, MA(SM) but they are all under 12 months.

"Long wait" branches, (in excess of 12 months) are ET(WE), NA(AC), Diver & WS(HM).

NA(AH) and MA are about two years.

7. These 'off the cuff' lists of continuance are all very well, but you would be better off waiting for the resident guru To come along, with more accurate and definitive time scales. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, what does Madden96 say?????

• Like Like x 1
  9. haha. ''Madden96'' is being posted on almost every thread.
    So, I'll just leave this here... ;)

10. Are CIS and wtr under 6 months then????