Transfer to Army

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, sounds about right. "Grass is greener ratings".

Over the ten years of recruiting experience, I always remember my (female) mentors term for those who flip between leaving, joining, re-applying, switching service, re-applying, leaving, re-joining individuals ; "Serial Applicators" , sometimes otherwise deemed time wasters.

I remember processing a guy who joined the Royal Marines three times in six years without completing training. Earned over thirty thousand quid in wages, cost over £20k in recruitment costs and got a right strop on when told to "do one" when applying a fourth time after opting out the first time, failing the second and claiming "compassionate" grounds the third time.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
I was a matelot, got a son who's a matelot, outlaws who've been and are Army infanteers, and a son who's a Bootie. From everything I've seen and heard, the Booties seem less bullshitty, less shouty, less cleaning-obsessed and more time-offy, than other branches of the forces.

Have I got this right, I ask the panel? And what exactly is the OP hoping to get from the Army; what is it about it excites him so much?

Having said that, I still don't think you should join the Army not least as a Guardsman. If you think being a submariner is dull, just wait til you've spent 2 hours stood at attention in a pillbox 4 times a day for 6 months.

Seriously, have a look at going general service, you'll lose your submarine pay, but you'll gain runs ashore, sunshine, a varied lifestyle and a home outside Scotland. Yes you'll have to start calling officers 'Sir' and you'll have to polish your bats occasionally, but in the long run, it's probably worth it, merely so you can spend 6 months pissing up on sandy beaches instead of 6 months under the sea with a brief stop in the US to break up the boredom.

"Ooooh oooh but we get to stay in hotels when we get alongside."

Join the RAF, they are Hotel Dossing Crabby twats!!! :)

mead13

Midshipman
Ive already applied for a transfer to the RM got approved by CO then got knocked back by the powers that be HQ. Have already spoken to my local Army AFCO and have been told that I can transfer without having to serve my notice out. Not sure how true this is?? but will take their word for it. Just looking for more advice

mead13

Midshipman
As for wanting to join the Army. Im just looking to do something where i will be motivated and actually enjoy. I thought submarines would be really interesting but its not for me. I just think I will make a better contribution being out in the field. I could easily drag arse like many and take a rather nice salary from being in boats but thats not me. I didnt join up for the money

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
Ive already applied for a transfer to the RM got approved by CO then got knocked back by the powers that be HQ. Have already spoken to my local Army AFCO and have been told that I can transfer without having to serve my notice out. Not sure how true this is?? but will take their word for it. Just looking for more advice
Just my thoughts but I reckon if you've already been knocked back by HQ, by which I assume you are referring to your Career Manager, then the chances of leaving without completing 12 months notice are probably very slim.

RN to RM is beneficial to the Naval Service, RN to Army is not.

Latest Threads